IGNORED

getting hacked of with launch monitors

extremeld
Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i am getting pretty hacked of with launch monitors - everyone of the things i have been on claims to be accurate to within less than 1% and yet the numbers vary wildly - look at these numbers - i am selling my ss radar as i have pretty much given up on anything electronic £40

fullswing monitor best drive 349 yards (longdrive driver) ball speed 208 mph average approx 335 (208 for 349 seems crazy)

monitor at golf show - one where you mark the ball - 395 yards (standard driver) average approx 380 - this monitor often missed the ball - i dont believe i can hit the ball 395 yards. (macgregor mactec)

golf achiever - best drive 371 yards (longdrive driver) average approx 355. hitting of yellow tee 3" i am guessing this machine is fairly accurate

different simulator at golf show (18th hole st andrews in case you know what this is) 346 yards (simulator set into 17mph wind!!) (standard driver ping g2) ball speed 202 mph average approx 325, seems a long way for standard driver esp into what is a strong wind. bs high although i did nail that particular shot.

someone make sense of this for me (if its possible) i dont know whether my swing is getting better or worse etc

grrr it makes me mad!

k

I think there's definetly something wrong if your ball speed is 208mph. I'm not judging but You'd need a clubhead speed of about 140mph, with a really pure strike...

But fair enough, maybe thats what your swing speed is... Is it?
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Bear with me while I make a comparison.

I can relate this to dynos for cars. When you tune your car (add performance parts, etc), you can put it on a dyno to see how much more power you are making. The problem is, dynos vary wildly from one manufacturer to the next (225HP on one and 250HP on another brand). So, what you end up having to do to get accurate numbers is to use the same dyno all the time when you tune or modify (this is kind of a rule for tuning). What happens is you use the dyno as more of a gauge of improvement more than an exact output number. Instead of saying "I have 250HP now" you would only really be able to say "I have 15 more HP than last time".

In other words, if you are using these devices to gauge your swing and how it may be improving, you should use at least the same type every time (if not the same exact machine). Yes, I realize that they all tout their machines as being so accurate, but if you want good comparison numbers, you should pick one and stick with it.

i agree that to gauge improvement use the same machine - that is why i have used a swing speed radar for a period - thing is the machine i used until recently depressed me - fullswing - it CANNOT be accurate 208mph and 349 yards i no longer use that one as the owner heard me saying that the numbers were rubbish - (according to the same machine i can hit 2 wedges 40yards past a driver!!)

i am wanting to know what monitor if any can be trusted as i want to compare my numbers to the longdrivers on your side of the pond before i go over there and get dusted!

i am getting pretty hacked of with launch monitors - everyone of the things i have been on claims to be accurate to within less than 1% and yet the numbers vary wildly - look at these numbers - i am selling my ss radar as i have pretty much given up on anything electronic £40

Thanks for posting this. I have been skeptical of what I have seen.

Thanks for the dyno analogy, klaymon. I watch this happen at the range I habituate. I have thought about having it done but those guys don't look like they are worth paying. I'll wait for someone to tell me about a positive experience. I wish Wishon was still at Golfworks. That's only 20 minutes from here.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!