IGNORED

Wordle Daily Puzzle

iacas

• Administrator

Guess the hidden word in 6 tries. A new puzzle is available each day.

This is a daily word game that's fun, simple, and takes about two to five minutes. You can play it on your phone, tablet, or computer. Everyone's word each day is the same, so no spoiling the word for anyone else.

My bit from today (yesterday I also got it on the fourth try):

Wordle 201 4/6

🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

As for strategy, I've thought about this a little bit.

• I think your first move should be to pick a word that has a lot of "likely" characters. RSTLNE was the standard from Wheel of Fortune, because they're in a lot of words, and you're almost hoping to eliminate them as much as you are to get them. You technically don't even have to make a word - you could type "RSTLE" or something (though I'd put the "E" in the middle, perhaps, as it's more likely to appear there).
  • Regardless of the results of your first guess (unless you get a few greens or something), I currently lean toward trying five *brand new* common letters in your second guess. Between the two turns you'll have gotten or eliminated ten of the 26 characters, and you should have three to four yellows (even if two of them are vowels). If you go into round three knowing that your word has an "E" and an "I" and an "R" that is the fourth character, and doesn't contain S, T, L, N, C, P, and G… you might quickly arrive at "WEIRD" because the characters remaining aren't super popular.
  • Once you get one green and two yellows, I like just picking through the remaining characters and trying to put the first letter in the first available space, and then trying out the remaining letters in other spaces. You'll know quickly whether "Q" is even possible, and some letters don't go near others like "SR" is rarely going to be there (or never?). You'll have to be flexible in this stage, because a last letter green is probably less valuable than a second or first letter in green.

Currently, the strategy I think I've settled on after playing twice and thinking about this for a little while is to "spend" the first two guesses trying to eliminate or lock in ten different characters, whether they're words or not. And then, using what you've got to sort of try out different combinations and arrangements, almost a brute force sequential ordering. Don't just pop in the first word you think of, try to still use the most characters. It'll not help on days like today where one character appeared twice, but most of the time, continuing to grey out or yellow/green up some characters will help you in the fourth or fifth round.

Most of the time you should win by the fourth or fifth with this strategy, I think.

What strategies do y'all have?

P.S. Maybe this is all bunk and I'll have changed strategies in a week. This is what I'm thinking now, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried this for the first time today. I was loosely doing what @iacas suggested, although I hadn’t read his post carefully before playing. I wonder if having 4 vowels on the first 10 letters you guess is something you should do. That, unless you have a really strange word (e.g., dryly), should give you a couple of letters. And vowels are going to be the most helpful, because you can fill out consonants around them. 

I completely pulled it out of my ass today on the 5th try, haha:

Wordle 201 5/6

🟨

🟩🟨
🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Wordle 202 4/6

🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wordle 202 4/6

🟨

🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

-- Daniel

• Administrator
WordleCraze_Ringer.jpeg

Linguists, engineers, and puzzle obsessives unite in the quest for the perfect first word

Wordle 202 5/6

🟨
🟨
🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

7 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Wordle 202 5/6

🟨
🟨
🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

How did you get 3 greys (4th try) after down to only 2 grey's (3rd try)? Just curious..😊.

Vishal S.

I tried it today and it would only let me input real words. I finished in three tries with all gray, 4 green with 2nd letter a gray. What works best for me is to guess words with a lot of common letters first.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, KMP said:

I tried it today and it would only let me input real words. I finished in three tries with all gray, 4 green with 2nd letter a gray. What works best for me is to guess words with a lot of common letters first.

I wrote about that in the first post. 🙂 You have to choose actual words. Just type "RZLNF" and you'll see it rejects it.

I used to play this on paper about 30 years ago with friends.

You get pretty good at it when you refine your strategy. 

It's amazing how often you get the word before the 5th try.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Wordle 202 4/6

🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My first two guesses gave me a pretty good start (in addition to have the first two letters locked in, I had eliminated 3 vowels). I wish I would have spent more time thinking about my 3rd guess, because I feel like I could have gotten this one in 3.

5 hours ago, GolfLug said:

How did you get 3 greys (4th try) after down to only 2 grey's (3rd try)? Just curious..😊

Think I was trying to eliminate or confirm some different letters so went with a word that didn’t have all the letters that were yellow previously.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Wordle 202 4/6

🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I’ve always enjoyed word games. Got rid of 3 vowels in first two words and got lucky on the 3rd. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Wordle 203 4/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

4th try

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Wordle 203 3/6

🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Cool game!

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Whew

Wordle 203 6/6

🟨🟩
🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

-- Daniel

Wordle 203 3/6

🟩
🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My strategy has been to get a and e out of the way first with common other letters. Placement of the vowel typically gives away how many vowels there will be. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

Wordle 203 3/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩