IGNORED

Golf Shoes - Meandering Thoughts and Questions

When it comes to golf shoes I want, above all else, to not have my feet hurt and I would really love it if they would last more than one season.

Over the past 10-15 years I’ve worn two different styles of Footjoys, (both were unbearably painful) the original True P1’s, which have been my only spikeless shoes,  Adidas  Pro Traxion and my all-time favorite, Bite. Alas, Bite is no longer in business but they were, and still are, terrific - extremely well made and very, very comfortable. I still wear them every now and then and I’d buy them again if they were still around, but they’re not.  

This past golf season I was wearing mostly the Adidas shoes. They were comfortable but must be very poorly made because they’re falling apart after only one season (40 rounds or so, half walking, half riding). The upper part of both shoes is separating from the sole leaving cracks that water or dew seeps through. I liked the True P1’s even though they look a little like clown shoes. I didn't care about that and I still wear them from time to time, mostly when going to the range or practicing in my backyard but the rubber cleats are all completely worn down and it leaves me wondering  how long spike-less shoes are supposed to last.

So, I’m looking for new shoes for next year. My old Bites are the old fashioned black & white saddle shoe style, they look funny when I'm wearing shorts and are kind of dated so I’d like something a little more of the modern athletic shoe look. I prefer shoes with spikes by the way, preferably waterproof, and I would also like to not have to spend $150+ for a pair of shoes that will last more than one season. The Bite’s were only about $50 about 13 years ago as I recall and while the inside is now a bit worn and raggedy the outside is still in perfect condition so I don’t think, when it comes to golf shoes, more money necessarily equals longevity, but I might be wrong about that.

I realize golf shoes are a very personal thing. What feels good on one person’s foot might be agonizingly painful on someone else. I read Iacas' review of the latest True shoes but if other's want to opine on their recent shoe experience, I’ll listen.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator

I can't help you on the spikes thing - those alone tend to make shoes (the soles) more rigid, heavier, etc.

I wear only TRUE Linkswear shoes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

I can't help you on the spikes thing - those alone tend to make shoes (the soles) more rigid, heavier, etc.

I say +1 for TRUE. Bought 2 pairs (one weatherproof, the other mesh) about 3 months ago and they have been great on AND off the course. It is nice to have a shoe that looks like a normal sneaker, that also functions as a golf shoe. I love it when I can wear my TRUEs pre, or post round, drive (or ride my motorbike) in them, and still be able to play good golf in them as well. Saves me some time getting ready or packing up at the car when there is no need to change shoes. The Eco knits are great for every day wearing and a dry round, and the TL-01s are just a standard smart sneaker design that can hold up in wet weather. These are 2 of their cheaper models, and I am sure that the more expensive ones would do just as well.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Same

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Wear comfortable shoes that are appropriate to the conditions you can reasonably expect to encounter.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I have to admit, I've been drinking the TRUE Linkswear cool-aid as well. I used to go with Eccos almost exclusively. But after I bought my first pair of TRUE Linkswear, I was sold. Now they are all I wear as well. My favorite for golf are the originals (or any of the ones that have the originals' spike pattern.)

Here's my opinion: 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have only worn Footjoy. Used to wear the Dryjoy with spikes. But they are a little heavy and uncomfortable, but seemed to last forever. If you exclusively ride in a cart, why not?

image.png.30be6f9a52430951f0ce8ac03b029aca.png

I try to walk when I can, so I then went to their line of more comfortable/casual spikeless:

image.thumb.png.fe03b7dabdb42a1a5a9ecdb5fee39eb2.png

The Contours line. But I think they might have discontinued as I can't seem to find it on their website. I am in the market and will check out the True Linkswear. I like @Bonvivant approach to the waterproof and mesh versions.

• Administrator

None of this TRUE love is helping @xrayvizhen who wants spiked shoes. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

None of this TRUE love is helping @xrayvizhen who wants spiked shoes. 🙂

If @xrayvizhen is looking for spiked shoes then in my mind there is no question. He should buy Eccos. Ideally, one of the cage varieties. They pretty much last forever and a day. 

I've had good luck with Under Armour. I've had good luck with Nikes and with Footjoys. I've also had less than great experiences with those as well. The only two brands I seem to ALWAYS be satisfied with is Ecco and TRUE. 

If you want a SPIKED shoe, that will be comfortable and last a long time Ecco Cage shoes are a can't miss. 

9 hours ago, colin007 said:

Big fan of Nike here

The Greek Goddess?

5B7E5695-759B-43CC-AAB6-24E7E75BB49B.jpeg

I like Trues, but I tend to slip in them more than shoes with spikes. I have an Adidas pair that fit me well and two pairs of Trues.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I really like my spiked Asics shoes.  Very comfortable with the same water proofing as most shoes these days.  I've played a lot of rounds in them already and no issues.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Never tried these. But they make some pretty bold claims. Right there on the website it says putting these shoes on will take you from an 18 handicap to an 11 handicap..... 

Sqairz Golf Shoes - "The best golf shoes I've ever worn" Nick Faldo. Designed to increase stability and performance. Golf Digest Best Golf Shoes 2020.

Here’s what I’ve been wearing the last couple of seasons. Usually catch them on sale (especially if I’ve got extra GG or DSG coupons from tracking my walking distance through my Apple Watch). I almost always walk my rounds, and I can walk in these all day. 

Also, I want a wider toe box area, and these tend to do better than others I’ve tried.

673939BE-8F2E-4439-8A1F-489D31BC2B39.thumb.jpeg.49cf710e82956784900e05a5fee5d48a.jpeg

14FOOMSUPERLITGSH_White_Black_is?wid=200

Buy the FootJoy SuperLite Athletic Golf Shoes today and improve your game. Find product reviews and specs or compare products today at Golf Galaxy.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I see that you said no FootJoy but I gotta tell you the FootJoy Flex XP are the most comfortable, waterproof shoes I've yet worn. And the grip is surprisingly good. I was a spike only guy until I tried these shoes on our wet tee boxes and fairways where they tend to leave grass clippings that clog up my spikes.

• 2 weeks later...

My most comfortable shoes are both spikeless - Ecco and Skechers. But I haven't had them long so I don't know how long they will last. I also have a pair of spiked New Balance that are surprisingly comfortable and seem to be pretty durable.

21 minutes ago, tehuti said:

My most comfortable shoes are both spikeless - Ecco and Skechers. But I haven't had them long so I don't know how long they will last. I also have a pair of spiked New Balance that are surprisingly comfortable and seem to be pretty durable.

My Ecco shoes have lasted a really long time. I think the cage variety is the tops when it comes to spiked golf shoes. 

23 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

My Ecco shoes have lasted a really long time. I think the cage variety is the tops when it comes to spiked golf shoes. 

Do you walk or ride?

I got maybe a season out of each pair (walking, alternating between two pairs).  Fortunately, they changed their styles a little a couple of years ago, so they didn't fit my feet as well anymore.  I've still got two pair left, but I only use them if I'm going to ride a cart or walk my 9-hole par executive course.  (Fortunately, because I went to a cheaper Footjoy.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4