IGNORED

Philly area courses

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to play a round or two next week in the phiily area, West or North side [ no NJ courses :( ] Mid priced $35-60 range

Any suggestions ?

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Just getting into golf, so my suggestions might not be the best...

Springfield CC: fairly wide open, forgiving, good shape but not too interesting

Paxon Hollow: really interesting, combo of open holes and tight tree-lined, great shape; short course, use irons off the tee quite a bit, but a really fun course for a high-handicapper; nice value

The Golf Course at Glen Mills: pricier than you're looking for ($80 midweek), but may be worth it, depending on how often you're near Philly. The greens seemed diabolical, being super fast and difficult to read (lots of 3 putts for me, and 1 4-putt). Beautiful grounds, fantastic conditions (played earlier this week), and a really engaging layout (rolling hills, elevation changes...). Plus, it's unique in that the course serves as sort of a vocational school for students at the School at Glen Mills: boarding school for troubled young men, that has a great track-record of proving that the right environment and good opportunities can change lives for the better. Some of the kids end up working in the golf industry, rather than in jail (or worse), which was the arc their lives were on. Really neat story, and a fantastic course! I didn't mind paying a bit extra, given the vocational training aspect. Plus, they have one of the nicest practice areas I've seen...

If you're only in Philly for a short stay, I'd bend the budget and play Glen Mills. If you visit often, or live here, I'd suggest Paxon Hollow, but keep Glen Mills on your list of courses to visit.

Just curious, why the bias against South Jersey? I think I can guess (flat land, less interesting courses overall...) If I invited you to play Pine Valley, I bet you'd make the trip over the bridge!

I played Paxon Hollow recently and enjoyed it. I'll be playing it again soon. I didn't find the course short and used my driver quite a bit, but I'm not a long driver (220-250). The price is fair.

The biggest problem I found was the overly deep bunkers and many dog legs. If you can drive over the legs, it's no problem but you may find yourself user a shorter club on these holes.

Keep in mind, I'm a fairly new player. I shot a 105 there.

LilGasPasser,

Thanks for the picks. No bias against Jersey, just out of the way. Did make it to the shore for a little camping however.

I actually already played Paxon Hollow, and Springfield before.

Played Paxon Monday. I find it shorter than courses I usually play, but no less challenging. Several dog-leg holes. I love 17th and 18th. Cute cart girl too.

Stumbled on to a nice course and reasonably priced in Lansdale.
Pine Crest was $30 for 18 on a Tuesday. Had trouble getting on 4 other
courses that day [no tee time]

I may try to make it to Loch Narin time permitting this week.

Couldn't find any info on green fees for Pine Valley, is it private ?

Thanks

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Cute cart girl too....

Re: the cart girl: brunette, big brown eyes? Yeah, she did not go unnoticed. I sort of felt like a dirty old man for the first time in my life (too young for me realistically), but she added to the overall ambience of the course!

Re: Pine Valley: http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/c...urses_gd200705 Yes, it's private. I have no idea how much it would be to play as a guest, but that's one problem I'll never have to deal with. On the other hand, if you like golf, and you're near Philly, come on over for the Crump Cup this September. Pine Valley opens the course up for spectators for their annual club championship. Usually the last Sunday in September (check me on that one...), and their club champions are playing pretty high caliber golf, so it's good. It's a neat experience to just walk the course, let alone if I ever get the opportunity to play it. I grew up right near there, and never even heard of it until I started playing as an adult. Worldwide treasure right here in South Jersey...

If you don't like Loch Nairn, Wyncote is just a little further down Rt 1 and is supposed to be a bit nicer. I've also heard good things abour Broad Run near West Chester.

If I invited you to play Pine Valley, I bet you'd make the trip over the bridge!

It's 19hrs from here, when's the tee time?

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

If you don't like Loch Nairn, Wyncote is just a little further down Rt 1 and is supposed to be a bit nicer. I've also heard good things abour Broad Run near West Chester.

Broad run is an awesome course with a very interesting layout. wyncote is also an excellent links style course.

I'm anxious to play Broad Run - just waiting for my game to get a little better :)

Wyncote looks nice, but I'm not allowed to play it. My wife dated one of the owner's kids in high school...

Plenty of good courses around though so I'm not worried.

Played Broad Run on Friday and Paxon Hollow again today. They are both nice courses. Broad Run was awesome.

Anybody played Edgmont Country Club? I'd love to hear opinions of it. How about Penn Oaks, or Concord CC?

Yes, we're CC shopping...

i am a member at penn oaks and you can't beat their price for the quality of the golf course. a lot has changed over the past couple years. they completely restaffed with acquiring harry hammond and john cooper. the golf course is in the best shape its ever been. concord is a nicer course but ALOT more expensive. for the money, penn oaks can't be beat.

Not sure if there are many Philly area folks on "the Sandtrap", but here goes...

Anyone interested in a Philly area Sandtrap outing? It seems that most posters here are fairly serious about golf. Maybe not very good, mind you, but at least sort of serious about trying to improve their individual games. I frequently go out as a single, and sometimes I luck out with great partners, sometimes I strike out with folks who are more interested in getting drunk by the back 9. (I'm all for a cold one, or two, at the end, but I find that sobriety helps my follow through )

So, if there are any other Philly area folks interested in getting together for a fun, but sort of serious round, let me know.

For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30's, still fairly athletic, and have been golfing about a year (HCP index in high 20's, but dropping). I tend to play lower end public courses, but am more than willing to try some of the nicer daily fee courses in the area. I'm trying to consistently break 100, and can par a few holes in a row, usually followed by the dreaded snowman/blow-up hole... If that sounds like fun to you, send me a message, or reply to this post.

Not sure if there are many Philly area folks on "the Sandtrap", but here goes...

My wife and I would probably be up for it. I have a similar profile as you (my wife is younger and better looking), but we just started in May. I've been hitting around 100 while she's usually around 110 mostly due to sand or rushed putts - we've only played 3 full rounds so take it for what it's worth.

We play seriously, but not competitively. We don't drink on the course either, though I have nothing against people who do. Where do you usually play? PM me if you like- Tim

Played Broad Run on Friday and Paxon Hollow again today. They are both nice courses. Broad Run was awesome.

http://www.talamorepa.com/golfsite.html Straight up, best staff in the world. (hyperbole)

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Thanks - Looks nice but too far from home.

Where are you at about?

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I'm in Marlton, NJ ie south jersey... I played broad run about amonth ago, pretty nice course (I think it was broad run, it goes by another name as well I believe, it's in west chestor).. anyways, there are a bunch of great courses in PA, I know I have a hard time getting the time to drive over and back and play quickly.

Now for Pine Valley...well, it's the #1 course in the world to start, they turned down President Clinton from playing there, had Jack's wife sit in the limo while he played(heard she went shopping instead), and is in a gated private community that is it's own town. Has it's own police etc.. very very very limited access. As someone stated above, the Crump cup is the only chance of getting onthere. Playing..well that's another story. I new a guy that lives there and we tried to get my father onthere to play for fathers day. Well even he couldn't get him on at that time.

Another 30's guy here (38), was playing to a 14 last year, this year I'm playing to about a 48,002,382,028 hc. :(

I'm always up for a group outing though. :)

Pete

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

I'm about an hour west of Philly, and would be up for some kind of outing :D!

I've played Broad Run several times (it started out as 'Tattersall,' but Broad Run is the new name). Very challenging, incredibly hilly, but worth the trip.

Edgmont - played it once, very underimpressed, frankly, but I also had a lousy day.

If you really want to play a beautiful course, Iron Valley in Lebanon. It's a hike but it's scenic, challenging, interesting and affordable, and usually has sparse crowds.

Bella Vista, Gilbertsville, is one of my favorite local tracts, but slow play has become a big problem there. It's got a great layout of long and short holes (including an island par 3), is built on an old farmland of rolling hills and is always in great condition.

I've also played Wyncote. TGC Amateur Tour had a stop there. Gorgeous farmland area, somewhat links style.

Also, I played Penn Oaks once a couple years ago. They took my $80 in guest fees and totally underwhelmed me from there on. :(

Count me in if someone wants to take charge of putting something together!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!