IGNORED

Investing in this market

InTheTwenties
Note: This thread is 5794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone investing in this market. The sp500 is so low, and the equities look like a bargain. I've been picking up shares of on sale blue chips. Hopefully, this banking mess sorts out. Got lucky and made a decent chunk on Diamond Offshore (DO).

{BEGIN OPINION::

JIM CRAMER FOR FED CHAIRMAN!

}

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

Anyone investing in this market. The sp500 is so low, and the equities look like a bargain. I've been picking up shares of on sale blue chips. Hopefully, this banking mess sorts out. Got lucky and made a decent chunk on Diamond Offshore (DO).

Nothing major. Bought some AT&T; on the hunch that UVerse is going to steal a lot of cable business. Breaking even on that one so far.

Between my Raymond James guy and me, we don't see much that's worth the risk right now.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

My summer internship this summer is the first time I can invest in a company 401K and get matching, so I'm doing that. I'm doing 35% S&P;, 35% Russell, and 30% in some bond index. I figure I'm 25, so by the time I can touch this money, it will very likely have grown.

I don't plan to do stock market speculation any time soon, so my investments in the near future will be mutual funds and index funds. My normal money is generally in no-risk or low-risk CDs.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My summer internship this summer is the first time I can invest in a company 401K and get matching, so I'm doing that. I'm doing 35% S&P;, 35% Russell, and 30% in some bond index. I figure I'm 25, so by the time I can touch this money, it will very likely have grown.

At 25, in my opinion you should be more geared for growth, since if you loose money you got all that time to make it up. Find out about vesting in the 401k. Since presumably, you'll be leaving after the internship. Hopefully you might be able to leave it with the company. Just watch out for doubled fees after you leave.

If they double the fees and hidden costs when you leave un-vested, you might be better off with a low fee IRA from a broker.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

You have to invest via a 401K or you'll have no retirement. Unfortunately, I am back to 2004 levels. Hopefully, it will return soon. Still own the stock but it is worth less. Just have to ride out the storm and see what happens in the future.

Taylormade R7
Taylormade R580 3,5,7 wood
Callaway X-18 irons
Cleveland 588 SW
Odyssey #1 XG Putter

You have to invest via a 401K or you'll have no retirement. Unfortunately, I am back to 2004 levels. Hopefully, it will return soon. Still own the stock but it is worth less. Just have to ride out the storm and see what happens in the future.

That is not true. You can retire via an IRA or others as well.

Make sure your summer internship is a place you want to stay. Most company matching 401k's must be frozen not converted if you leave in a few years.

At 25, in my opinion you should be more geared for growth, since if you loose money you got all that time to make it up. Find out about vesting in the 401k. Since presumably, you'll be leaving after the internship. Hopefully you might be able to leave it with the company. Just watch out for doubled fees after you leave.

Thank you both for the concern. Yes, before checking into it, I saw that I could roll it into a private account, or I could leave it with them. The plan deliberately includes interns, so I'm sure they're used to this happening.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!