IGNORED

Too big a distance gap between my PW and SW

reif99
Note: This thread is 5696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, maybe.

I think MAYBE the Mizuno wedge/shaft combination might give you a slightly faster swing speed than the Pelz; accomidating for part of the distance gap. I'd suggest going with a 52º Mizuno gap wedge or a 53º Pelz. THAT should do it.

Lose the 64º. The 60º should be sufficient for any flop shots.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

If you like the 64, keep it. Everyone said bad things about the 60 a few years back. I am well aware that a 60 can be opened up to play any shot under the sun and that a 60 can be swung 3/4 or half. But I also you see that you hit your 60 degree 100 yards. Under pressure a full wedge feels much better than a ¾ shot. This is proven by the numerous tips given to lay up to distances leaving a full wedge. This is great advice. But by carrying the 64 you increase your bag coverage of full swings. I hit my 60* 75 yards. But now if I end up 55 - 60 yards away, I don’t have to do the math or manipulate a swing. I can go hard at a 64, and with a 10% +/- margin of error I know I will be within 15-18 feet of my target. But this will be an age old argument and there is no right answer. Some are still only carrying sandwedges, and if it works for them that is the setup they need.

I think you have nice gaps in your set, about 15 yards each with the exception of the range you are working on. Ideally what I think you are looking for is
9 iron 145
PW 130
SW 115
LW 100
XW ?

So you need 5 more yards on the SW and 5 less on the PW. I still say that 1 degree on each with your swing speed would do. I realize the MP 29 factory spec is 48 * but I honestly wouldn’t think 1 more degree of bounce, especially on a player’s wedge would not hurt unless you actually feel it bouncing off tight lies or you play a lot of open face shots with this club.

One last thing, how are the grooves on that PW? If they are more worn than the 9 iron, maybe you are getting additional yards by losing a little spin. I know I hit my SW 90 yards off a tight lie. But if I’m 100 out and setting up in the rough this is the perfect club for me. Less spin makes me hit a wedge a tad lower and longer as well.

So how do you figure what the gaps should be based on loft? I have a 47*, 52*, 56* & 60*. The lengths are 125, 105-110, 90-95 & 75-80. Is that about where it should be?

10-15 yards sounds good to me. Looks like you are spot on. Congrats!

This is very strange indeed. Normally the 10-15 yds distance gap between irons comes from 2 sources - (1) the (4-degree) loft difference and (2) the (half inch) shaft length difference. The fact that you have the same 5-degree loft difference but with the same shaft lengths and are seeing such a big gap between clubs can only be explained by the lofting/delofting of the clubs when taking your swing. Perhaps you are playing the SW and LW in a more "open" position i.e. utilising more of the bounce of the club, whilst you are playing your PW like any other iron, with a delofting motion to maximise distance. A visit to a pro who can see what you are doing while you hit these 3 clubs may be the best bet to analyse the source of the problem. Good luck.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

I'm not trying to simplify things here but ... its your swing. I would venture to say you are subconsciously delofting your SW and LW too much.

I would tend to agree.

60 degree wedges are not designed to be hit 100 yards. They are for much, much shorter shots where you need to get the ball high for whatever reason. It is not a specific distance club. And I would seriously question the need for any player to carry a 64 degree wedge unless his initials are PM.

I would tend to agree.

The 64 has helped my short game immensely. Question away - I like it. Have you ever used one?

It's also money from 70 (full swing) and 50 (half swing) yards. On the 18th hole (in regulation or the playoff, I don't remember) at the US Open, Tigers Woods hit a LW 106 yards. So I'm not sure you are correct that the 60º is only for around the green. Lastly, if you are correct, then it only exacerbates my problem (bigger gap between wedges) and doesn't answer the fundamental question: Why, with equal changes in loft, why is there not an equal (or at least logical) change in distance?

Note: This thread is 5696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!