IGNORED

5 wood or 3 hybrid?

Saks
Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am tossing up between a 5 wood and a 3 hybrid. Both 2007 TM Burners.

I already have the Burner 3 wood and it is the nicest club I have ever hit! I have a free club from the golf shop and they got these 2 options in for me to hit tomorrow. I was thinking 3 hybrid but have just started hitting my 3 iron semi-reliably! I have tried the 4 hybrid against my 4 iron and they go about the same distance, except the hybrid has a higher trajectory (I hit it real high) and I guess is more forgiving. So no real advantage there.

So I guess I am looking for something to fill the gap between 3 iron and 3 wood.

Distances (carry): 3 Wood is 200 metres(220 yards) reliably, 4 iron is 170ish metres (185 yards) and 3 iron 180ish metres (195 odd yards).

I am happy with the height I get from my 3 iron, so do I go for the forgiveness of the 3 hybrid or go to the 5 wood?

I will hit them back to back tomorrow and hopefully one of them falls right in the 190metre yardage.

Anything else I should think about? I will have to lose my 52 degree wedge if I carry the 3 iron plus whatever I pick up tomorrow! So maybe one will fall in between the 4 iron and 3 wood!

Decisions, decisions!

So if you hit the 3w burner well, and the 5w is basically the same club with higher loft...

isnt the answer obvious?

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

I dropped my 5w because it was basically doing double duty with my 3w. A pure shot from both would just as likely go the same distance. I dropped the 5w and let my 3h take it's place. My iron set starts at 4i (which is why I bought the 3h originally) and while I don't get as much distance out of my 3h as I did the 5w I can live with that gap between the 3w (240yds) and the 3h (215yds). Currently I'm only carrying 13 clubs, but I'll probably end up getting a LW sometime in the future.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I hit a 3h instead of a 5w personally. My only two woods are the driver and 3w.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

I was going to say 3h when I saw the subject line, before I even read your post. When I read your post, you seemed to be leaning so far toward the 3h that you're about to fall off the fence. Go with your instinct. Don't let you talk yourself out of something you'll love hitting.

truthfully, I'd forget about it and keep the wedge. But that's just me. the next club down from the driver for me is a 2 hybrid/iron. Kind of a driving iron but it gets me around 240 so I don't really crave too much extra distance. The hybrid will help more if you get into a bit of trouble. Woods don't have the weight that a hybrid has and the hybrid will be a bit more versatile. great for fringe chipping, punching out of nasty junk, and still just as pristine off the fairway. Take advantage of the new technology.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Am tossing up between a 5 wood and a 3 hybrid. Both 2007 TM Burners.

Good luck whatever the choice. To put in my 5 cents worth, I thin, a 19 degree 3 hybrid will go further than your 3 iron & will probably be easier to hit than a 5 wood because of (amongst other things) its shorter shaft. When I hit my 3 iron sweetly (I emphasise -

when ) it'll generally travel about 100 metres but my 3 hybrid (19 degree/Pro Force v2 stiff) is easier to hit & generally travels about 200 to 220 metres (on average). To be safe, try some 5 wood & 3 hybrid demos before deciding. Good luck!!!

Note: This thread is 5710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!