IGNORED

Golf Lessons??

Donnie_Brasco
Note: This thread is 5541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a self taught bogey golfer, nothing to write home about, but decent enough to play a round of golf with the better players around..

I am ready for some help from a professional, so I had a few questions for anyone who has experience with lessons..

1st. Has anyone taken lessons from an Instructor in Los Angeles?
2nd. Did you take private or group lessons?
3rd. Is there certain things I should inquire about before choosing an instructor?
4th. Did the lessons stick with you, or did you fall back into your old habits quickly after?
5th and Final. WAS IT WORTH THE MONEY?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Bogey isn't good enough anymore, it's time to take it up a notch.

Donnie, I can help you with 4 out 5.... I am not a bogey golfer yet, but working on it. I started to play in Dec-08, picked up a few books, and read as much material on swing mechanics, approach, position, etc. Bottom line, is that I managed to pick up a few bad habits in the process, but not bad enough to prevent me from playing, and enjoying the game. So my recommentation to you is the following:

1. Not a clue (I live in south florida)

2. Private lessons may be best for you for at least one lesson. This will allow an instructor to concentrate on you a see where you need to work on. Group lessons and clinics , I feel, are good, when all you are looking for is a few pointers.

3. My selection process was based on conversation. Some instructors that I spoke to seemed to be a little rude, and somewhat impatient. Not the qualities that I was looking for. I settled for one that one-on-one was pretty patient and through. My suggestions is based on how comfortable you are talking to they guy (or gal). This is important... you don't want to feel rushed or uncomfortable with the instructor.

4. My lesson stuck, but like in any learning environment, you have to practice your lessons, otherwise you will go back your old habits. It is more important to practice what your are taught, than finding a good pro.

5. You bet!!!!! I have improved a few strokes just by better understanding my posture and mechanics. If you need any more proof... look at the show on the golf channel... "The Haney Project" where Charles Barkley is being taught by Tiger's coach to correct is swing (known as the worst swing in golf).

For me, golf is a never ending challenge against me! I love the game for keeping my brain engaged as much as my body!

I hope this make sense to you.
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

I can help with 4 out of 5

1. Live in Kansas, no clue either

2. Private, wanted the personal attention of individual lesson

3. I didn't really do anything special for finding a pro, went to the pro at the golf course that I live by. But I found a gem, his teaching style suited me perfect and couldn't have asked for a better experience

4. My lessons stuck, I took them several years ago but my ball striking continues to be the strength of my game.

5. Well worth the money, not sure what the cost would be in LA but I paid $250 for 6 lessons. I did 1/2 hour sessions once a week for 6 weeks, and quite honestly some of them were longer then that. We would work on something specific and he didn't stop until he felt I was were I should be.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I took private lessons in Los Angeles (El Segundo, actually). You should find out whether or not the instructor teaches in a style that is acceptable to you. Does he teach feel based, or does he set up a video camera and have you check every position? Which of those approaches do you prefer? Does he teach a traditional swing or S&T;? The lessons I took stuck with me very well. I had trouble making contact with the ball before I took lessons (I don't mean "solid contact," I mean I missed the ball frequently), and he took me down to 16 handicap. I'm going back for more lessons soon, since I will have plenty of practice time in the next 6 months. It was very worth the money.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Milwaukee. Sorry can't help you there. Check

www.pga.com , then google search the results to see if you can dig up any info.
2nd. Did you take private or group lessons?

Private. Take a group lesson if you want some basic fundamentals. If you want to really tweak your swing it needs to be 1-on-1.

3rd. Is there certain things I should inquire about before choosing an instructor?

For me his ability to communicate with me well was key, and the fact that he was PGA certified. Those were the only requirements I had so that I could trust him.

4th. Did the lessons stick with you, or did you fall back into your old habits quickly after?

I started lessons during the off season so that I was in training mode. For the past 3-months it has only be practice and lessons. The new swing has transitioned to the course very well. I don't even think I could swing the club like I used to if I tried.

5th and Final. WAS IT WORTH THE MONEY?

So far it has been the best money that I have spent on golf. I got a 5-lesson package for $325 and spaced them out to be on Saturdays, every third week. It has been so worth it that I plan to continue the same plan for the rest of the year and perhaps through next year in my quest for "scratch"

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

I am a self taught bogey golfer, nothing to write home about, but decent enough to play a round of golf with the better players around..

I'm in L.A. (San Fernando Valley) and give lessons if you are interested? You are pretty much the type of student I look for. Decent enough, but looking for the next plateau and seem like you have a true desire to commit to practice and learn. I believe I'm worth the money. So do the students I have. I've been getting some really good feedback from not only them, but the people they normally play with. My favorite comment so far: "You're a genius."

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I am a self taught golfer as well, but throughout the short period I have been playing (around 10 months), I would have a great round (10 over) then the very next day I could shoot 18+ over. My good shots were great, but I was really punished for my poor ones. I thus decided to get a lesson.

The first lesson was just about my set-up. My instructor (Andrew at Melbourne Golf Academy, in Melbourne, Victoria, Aus- top bloke) watched me swing and hit a few balls, filmed my swing a couple of times, then showed me how my stance was forcing my backswing to a really flat trajectory.

He then showed me a couple of easy to remember tips for the correct stance, and the correct swingplane my club should be taking. After that one lesson, I went out and shot the best score of my life at a track I've played a good dozen times. I've noticed MUCH more consistency in my swing; scores getting lower; and much lower blood pressure having pretty much eliminated the power-slice from my game. And that's after one lesson! I need to go back and have another just to see how much more improvement I can see!! I can't recommend having a lesson highly enough it really helped my game.

1) sorry live in the midwest

2)Have had group lessons twice, no choice as far as instructor, one was awesome and gave me all the basics I still try to use. Second one was a real d#$% and taught the group nothing that I can recall. Took golf for college credit and learned a lot from the professor who was also the coach, taught me how to work the ball all the way around the course, my game was very good by the end of the semester. Had private lessons over a five week period, was less than happy, midway through the pro changed a lot of things stance, grip, and swing, I tried to stay with them but had a horrible snap hook when things went bad (a problem I never had previously) and I reverted back somewhat to my old ways. When I play regulary (I haven't played more than a couple times a year in the last five years, I promised myself I would play weekly in 2009) with the methods learned from college professor and my first instructor I can play a really nice round of golf thanks to them.

3) Make sure you will enjoy working the with your instuctor.

4) I still remember a lot of things my first instructor taught me almost 30 years ago and think back to them when I'm struggling.

5) Group lessons were so cheap I got my money just from all the balls I got to hit, college credit was needed for my degree so being able to take golf was a plus, my private lessons didn't have a lot of value long term but they were a gift so I couldn't really ask for my money back.
ogio.gifedge bag
titleist.gifdriver 10.5* 907D1, 15* 906f2, 18* 906f2
wilson_staff.gif21* hybrid, 3-PW PI7, TW9 wedges
wilson_staff.gif: 8802, 8813, or Arnold Palmer Original
wilson_staff.gifX1 or 50

Note: This thread is 5541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!