IGNORED

Slow play killed my best 9 hole round, tips for coping?

elsito99
Note: This thread is 5519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys,

I need some tips to not lose concentration when meeting a road block.

Yesterday I went to play 9 holes after playing 27 Saturday at 2 difficult courses. I shot 45, 47, 41. After the 41 I felt good so went out to another course on SUN to play 9. Started with a bogey in the easy first par 5, but then 4 pars and a bogey. So I am +2 through 6 and hole #8 is a birdie hole so I am feeling pretty well. Get to the tee at 7 and there is a road block. I take a look, groups at the tees, FW's, greens, you catch my drift. Lots of not so good golfers hacking around the course, old people playing from the blues (true story, and older gentleman, about 80-85, playing from the tips and driving it 120 yards at most).

So we wait about 10-15 minutes to tee off. One of the guys I was playing with says this is too much and leaves. We now are just 2 playing. With a wait of 10-20 minutes per shot, I shot a 6 over on the last 3 holes, including triple, bogey, double, for a 44. Should have left and finished the round another time.

Anyways, do you guys have tips for coping with slow play and not letting it get to you? Chipping in place, at the tee? sunbathing?? drinking? reading?

Blade Stand Bag
905R 11.5 R flex
Tight Lies 3 Wood
Ci7 Irons 4-GW R Flex
Vokey SM Wedges 54 / 58Classic Putter #1 34"ProV1 or U-Tri Tour or E5+

I personally wouldnt take my club out of my bag until im ready to hit.

You can practice your swings if you want inbetween just to stay loose, but I would put the club back or set it down or something before I hit. Its easy to have a tendency to rush after waiting to hit for a long time so I find that putting the club back in the back helps offset the tendency to rush. Afterall, where the hell are you going to go? And also its your responsibility to adjust to the conditions so meh.

GL with it next time.

Learning to shift gears on a golf course is definitely tough but if you're going to play it's a must or your scores will suffer. My best rounds have been speedy ones so there is something to be said for rhythm. Being antsy and taking practice swing after practice swing doesn't seem to help me. Moaning and complaining about the slow people in front of you does something to the nervous system which throws you off more (my experience). Learning to accept what's in front of you is key. When you finally get a chance to hit your ball you have to really get into a routine. A good thing to incorporate is some deep breaths to help the muscles relax. I hate slow play but I came to a realization that it's going to happen and getting pissed about it does not help. It makes it worse. Good luck.

I feel your pain. I teed off yesterday at 1:40 and didn't leave til about 7:30....i shot 2 over and the front 9 and like 8 over on the back cause i lost my rhythm and focus. I usually practice chipping, pitching, and full swing mechanics. Drinking is probably not going to help you focus/maintain concentration, buy it's great for staving off the boredom though :)

What I Play!

x86 Stand Bag
Driver: 907D2 10.5* w/EPIC-S
Irons: 735.CM irons 4-PW PX 5.5FW Wood: 909F2 15.5* Aldila Voodoo SHybrid: 909.H 21* Diamana Blue Board SWedges: Vokey 250.08 (oil can), Spin Milled 54.11 & 60.07 (Black Ni)Studio Select 2.5Ball: Pro-V1x/Bridgestone B330s (or anything I...

Unfortunately, slow play is a fact on life on municiple courses around the country. This occurs because of slow players, people playing from wrong tees and/or courses that put the tee times too close together (on of the local courses here has 7 minutes between tee times with a few times a day with only 4 minutes between tee times). How to handle this pace of play is always part of the challenge. Even on the PGA Tour they stuggle with slow play.

There isn't a real answer for dealing with slow play because people are different. Personally, I just don't let it get to me because I know I would rather be at the golf course than anywhere else anyway. Just that line of thinking helps keep me loose. Swing practice is one thing you can do or chipping/hitting pitches toward fairway (although it's against the rules to hit shots at fairway while waiting). My playing partners and I have done such things as picking a spot in front of tee boxes 25-50 yards and hitting pitches toward it making it a competition for closest. Another thing we have done is watch the guys in front and make bets about what they will do next - it's at least something to do...

Probably the best thing to do is just try to avoid slow play by either playing at courses or days/times where it's less busy. Always a good option, if money is not an obstacle, is to join a golf club because they tend to have less rounds played and have more space between groups anyway. I don't know what such memberships in your area might run, but the club where my Dad is head pro, before it went semi-public about 7-8 years ago, had cheapest memberships for $500, which was for unlimited non-peak play (10am - 4pm weekdays and after 5pm weekends and no restrictions Nov-March). Their tee times were 12 minutes apart weekends and 14 minutes apart weekdays.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

The solution is called a pre-shot routine!!!! I am no good at mine but that is how you prepare for tha shot so if it is solid then all the time waiting will be out of your mind by the time you hit!!!

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

I read something or play a game on my iPhone. The iPhone is perfect for slow play. Sometimes my concentration shifts towards the article I'm reading though and I lose focus. Definitely chipping and small pitches work for me too. I thought it would affect my timing, but for me, it doesn't. Also, bouncing the ball off the wedge, stretching, and bathroom break.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read something or play a game on my iPhone. The iPhone is perfect for slow play. Sometimes my concentration shifts towards the article I'm reading though and I lose focus. Definitely chipping and small pitches work for me too. I thought it would affect my timing, but for me, it doesn't. Also, bouncing the ball off the wedge, stretching, and bathroom break.

I think you may have something with the Iphone. Maybe email or chat while waiting just to relax.

Of course I would have to get an Iphone first. Just to give you guys more insight, I am pretty chill at the course. I don't get angry, frustrated or anything. I wasn't angry because of the slow play but rather just lost every bit of mojo waiting. I always think it is better to be at the course than at home or the office, but this was a bit too much. I see this happening to guys in the PGA also. Remember a tournament where I saw Camilo chilling with Greg Norman in between tee shots. They waited like 15 minutes to tee off and I remember thinking they were a bit off after that wait.

Blade Stand Bag
905R 11.5 R flex
Tight Lies 3 Wood
Ci7 Irons 4-GW R Flex
Vokey SM Wedges 54 / 58Classic Putter #1 34"ProV1 or U-Tri Tour or E5+

this happens to me all the time... you get in a groove... everything hinges on momentum... the flow is going sweet... then bammmmm... hit... wait... hit... wait... hit... wait... nothing kills my game than slow play... i cant do anything about it... i feel like im getting iced... and having too much time to think about my shot isnt necessarily a good thing... i just try to keep my head in the game and it doesnt always work :(
jb holmes lost cuz he waited 2 hrs before he had to tee up for the playoff hole... so it happens to the best of them...
i like playing commentator to the group im waiting on... specially if they are hackers... it usually gets a laugh from whoever im playing with... so the blood doesnt boil while sitting there doing nothing
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I decide what club to hit, then when i know i will have to wait for more than 30 seconds, i put the club down a walk about for a bit. maybe chat with a buddy, or start bouncing the ball up and down off my wedge, doing some tricks ect. i find the longer the club is in my hand before the shot, the worse it gets
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Glad to know I'm not the only one......... I always blame myself in the end -- telling myself that if I was stronger mentally, it shouldn't be an issue :)

Buuuuuuuuuuuut. Slow play really throws me off. Though not so much as people playing up right behind me. Usually, what happens is I screw up a ton when I'm SANDWICHED in SLOW play -- if that happens I'm screwed.

Doesn't happen as much when I'm with others that I can talk to... but I golf alone usually, so many times I get paired up with people that I have a hard time having conversations with.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

First off, good for you that you finished. When play is slow thats the hardest time to finish because its just irritating. I played with a guy this weekend that took 4-6 practice swings before every shot. It took forever.

Someone said have a preshot routine. You should already have one. The best tip I can give is relax and try to plan what you want to do with the next few holes.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

there are several solutions.

the easiest for me is to avoid it. always tee off at sunrise. this takes planning. call a week in advance (or as early as possible) to get your tee time.

If you are unable to do this and are stuck behind slow play, and can't jump ahead a hole or two, slow everything down. Walk slower, refill your drinking water, clean your clubs, wash your balls, organize your golf bag. practice putting/chipping. bounce a ball on your sandwedge. do some stretching. However, always focus on the golf---don't start texting your friends, etc.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I've never seen a golf course at sunrise..... I'm in austin as well as I think you are?

Is that a good time to go? I've recently started a new job and find myself waking up before sunrise nowadays due to the new pattern, but I always thought morning was peak time. I always play as a single and with no one ahead of me I play pretty fast... walking a 3 hour round give or take. If it's a good time to go, maybe I'll start going early.

I usually play at morris williams since it's close to campus and I prefer it to lions.... i've gone their enough in the past months that they now know me by name....... so maybe theyll let me hop on in the morning........?

Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

just stay loose. i've found that if i stand by my ball too long taking practice swings, chances are i'm going to sh*t my pants come next shot. i'll usually just meander around for a bit trying not to think of the shot until it's my turn to hit. then i'll focus 100%. maybe bring a couple of mitts so you and your partner can play catch. lol. sounds weird, but if i ever play on the weekend again with friends i may just do that.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I've never seen a golf course at sunrise..... I'm in austin as well as I think you are?

I went to UT in Austin, but now in DFW. I have many fond memories of Mo Williams (still have a Mo Williams hat). When I played MW, planes would fly overhead constantly (the airport used to be right there) There are some great holes on that course. The drop off par 3 on the front and the short dogleg left par 4 (with the pond infront of the green) come to mind.

Morning is peak time (especially in Austin summer). If you can't find 3 friends to play rounds early in am on the days you can, start by looking around on this board via PM. I've found several golfers here on this site for rounds of golf. Next time you play or practice there, let the starter know you want to play early in the am and see if they have any advice. Also, ask if there are any days or times that are less crowded. Other courses near you----Lyons, BlueBonnett, Crystal Falls in Leander, the nine hole course on Red River (used to be across from HEB) Is Red River Cafe still there? Roy Kiser and it's sister course.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

First off, good for you that you finished. When play is slow thats the hardest time to finish because its just irritating. I played with a guy this weekend that took 4-6 practice swings before every shot. It took forever.

personally I think planning for the next few holes is a really bad idea. You gotta stay in the moment imo.

I went to UT in Austin, but now in DFW. I have many fond memories of Mo Williams (still have a Mo Williams hat). When I played MW, planes would fly overhead constantly (the airport used to be right there) There are some great holes on that course. The drop off par 3 on the front and the short dogleg left par 4 (with the pond infront of the green) come to mind.

I bought one of the cities annual passes, so I tend to play the munis since it's only $2.50 per round :). (the only course I haven't tried is Crystal Falls.... how is that course btw?)

That's the conclusion I came to.... seems like golf just gets busier and busier. Haha. I've been spoiled by the wide open 'winter' season out here, but now the slow play is getting obnoxious and I'm not really having a lot of fun. Thanks for the tips

Note: This thread is 5519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!