IGNORED

Chance to play Torrey Pines....help

Note: This thread is 5286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Although I am not sure about the weekends, I am pretty sure if you are there at 4 - 5 am you will get out with no problem. Definitely ask the locals and the starter when you go there Friday. The putting greens are right there by the parking lot, I did not see the range as I was teeting off at dawn, there would appear to be no problem practicing.

If you are a 12 then breaking 95 is certainly doable, if you stay out of serious trouble and keep the 3 putts to a minimum (they will be there, count on 5 or 6 or so more putts than your average) then breaking 90 is doable ( I had a quad and a triple on my card, which cost me a sub 95 score), but play the round for the experience, not for the score. I am a 14 and shot 97 and left several strokes on the course. Birdies will be hard to come by, but I missed 2 by leaving the ball right on the edge of the cup twice (#4 and #8, a little California quake would have jiggled them in), so they are out there. You can take aim at the flags and stick the ball right there (or suck it back pretty easy if you use a high spin ball, I used a low spin ball which just stuck wherever I hit it) , which helps trying for birdies, but on any sucker pins be extra careful, some of the greenside bunkers are tough (I was in them on #1 and #2 on the right, got away with it on one but did not on two) and a few holes (#3 and #14 come to mind) if you go long your ball is gone into the canyon. Watch out for the canyon to the right off of the 6th tee (Par 5), anything hit that way is gone ( I was lucky and hit down the left side). If you are long then #9 is the best chance for a Par 5 birdie hole (or #6 if you stay away from the canyon), both have openings in the front you can run the ball on with. The Par 5s on the back 9 have more trouble and you would need to fly the green, (pond on 18 and a serious gully and bunkered hill on #13). Almost every hole will have fairway bunkers in play, at first I thought I could fly some of them but at sea level I could not. Most of my tee shots were around the bunkers, fortunately only one went in.

One other thing I thought of, if you do not have a GPS or rangefinder, buy a yardage book. I had none of the above and it was difficult finding sprinklerheads to get yardages.

the driving range is on the right hand side of the parking lot with big nets protecting the road... ive hit over the nets before... not recommended
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Well we're due in there around 10:45 (west coast) Friday morning. My only chance to play will be Saturday morning, but I have no problem showing up at 4 or 5 AM since I'm on NY time anyway so hopefully I can get out.

Didn't go to San Diego. Chaos ensued instead. My best friend tried to divide by zero and...PSSSSHHHHHH. Explosion. No SD, no TP, no golf, f*cking nothing. Most inexplicable happenings I've ever encountered.

All I can say. All that can be said. $600 down the drain. Thanks for all the help though. If I ever come to grips with what took place in my life last Thursday, perhaps I'll pony up and try to come out there some other time.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

That's really too bad. And sorry to make you feel a little worse, but this weekend was one of the most perfect weekends weather-wise that one could have had at TP. Temperature was about 72 along the coast, not a cloud in the sky, no marine fog or haze whatsoever, brilliant blue sky and shimmering blue ocean, and just a hint of a breeze.

Hopefully you'll get another chance!!!!

That sucks! You can't argue with this:

For everybody going to play, you have to play the South, the North has really only a couple of scenic holes. Don't get me wrong it's a great muni, but most of the holes on the South are nice.

And don't worry about your image. Most locals are high-handicappers and some folks play in jeans.

yes that does suck but hopefully someday.

Nice picture, when I was there the overhead entertainment was a little noisier, about every 20 minutes - half hour about 2 or 3 F-16's or F18's (I am not a military jet guy but they were low, fast, and loud) buzzed the course. Very impressive and glad I saw then (no idea if buzzing jets is par for the cours,e so to speak ) , certainly but made it harder to putt if they buzzed you on the green but an added element to the experience nonethelss.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't feel intimidated. Torrey Pines is a public course! There's just competition to get tee times.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!