IGNORED

Hybrid Distance Help

Note: This thread is 6443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have a TaylorMade Mid TP 16 degree hybrid in my bag and I'm thinking of adding another hybrid to replace my 3-iron. Currently I use the 16 as a 2-iron replacement and I hit it anywhere from 200 to 220.

My question is, if I want to replace my 3-iron, what loft do I need to get on the new hybrid in order to get something that goes 190-205? I know a traditional 3-iron replacement should be around 22 degrees, but I'm really stuck as to whether or not I should get the 22 degree hybrid or the 19.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Hi there. I would think that the 19 degree would do the trick, based on your yardages. But, you might get more versatility with a 21 or higher degree club. You can always close it or put a little more speed into it, but it's much harder to dial down. Especially with the hot clubfaces and shafts in modern clubs.

Not to complicate the issue, but what kind of ball flight are you looking for?

Sounds like you need to fill in a gap in your distances but maybe it's about more than just distance. I have a 2 hybrid (16*) that given the shaft I have, I hit it low and long. It has an adjustable weights so I added some weight to hit it higher but it's still low and long. My 3 hybrid (19*) goes much higher but I can work it much better. A high cut goes about 190-200 and when I put a draw on it it goes at least another 10 or 15 yards. I love that club.

I guess what I'm saying is it's not just about loft. It's about head design, shaft, and your typical ball flight too.

Rick
http://www.golf-club-revue.com

"Golf either brings out your ego...or your heart."

Not to complicate the issue, but what kind of ball flight are you looking for?

My ball flight is pretty standard with the 2. The whole reason I went to it was that I always ballooned my 5-wood and I get a much more penetrating ball flight with the 2... just turns out to be a bonus that its a cinch to hit.

For me, this really is about distance... I'm ok with standard ball flight. When I go to the range, I hit my 4-iron 180-185 and my 3-iron about 182-187. I don't generate the clubhead speed to get enough distance or loft out of my 3-iron.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

So what you're looking for is something between your 4 irons' distance (180-185) and your 2 hybrid which is about 220. Is that right?

Well the 3 hybrid should do the trick. I guess my point was that you can do some things to make that 3 hybrid more versitile. A regular steel shaft would make it a straight replacement for your 3 iron, where if you add a graphite with a bit more length you could get up to 210-220 with a nice high ball flight. Just choke up when you need less.

I can recommend the weight ports too. That would give you even more ball flight options.

I guess I'm belaboring this point because I like my 3 hybrid so much. It has become my workhorse. Great off the tee on tight holes. Great out of the rough and traps. And a wide range of ball flights and distances. It became my go-to club mostly because I've developed so much confidence in it. I'll hit it anytime, anywhere.

Give it some thought and you may have that kind of club too!

Rick
http://www.golf-club-revue.com

"Golf either brings out your ego...or your heart."

Note: This thread is 6443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!