IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Well all all my bad habits came back to bite me today.. 1 years worth of practice just got shot in the head.

Everything feels bad right now.

http://youtu.be/fRnIYFPli3Y

Thats a 5-iron i am swinging. Ok i might have overswung a bit tongue.png , but before that when i tried to swing normal, i was having issue with, i dare not say the word, better put, shots that did not hit the clubface. So by that point i was trying anything to get the club face from keeping open. That shot right there ended up next to that tree in the distance, about 10 yards left of were the club is aimed on the ground. So a slight pull.

My other fault, my right leg always flies up like that, its probably one key issue in my swing. When i can keep it down i can keep things in front of me. Actually probably a save so i don't fall over backwards from having a reverse weight shift right now.

Though i think i am way to close to the ball...

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tempo? You are trying to kill the ball. Try this... do a full swing, but slow it down so you are only swinging at about % of normal... hit a bucket that way and see how it goes.

in the video, you appear to be overswinging and coming over the top abit by kinda throwing the club over the line.. but just abit.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

What i find strange is that it doesn't feel like i overswing. But the problem today was, when i tried to swing easy, or shorten the swing, i was still comming over the top, because i would shank the ball a bit or slice it. The only way i would hit it straight is if i went full force to get the club through the impact zone square.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Wow the swing is so bad that it doesn't draw replies, definetly time for a lesson..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A lot of upper body and you are clearly trying to kill it... You have to include more of your lower body and learn to let the club do the work.

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

well, i did a bit of research taking some still images frmo the video.

one majore flaw i have and i think it kills me, is my weight is on the heels at address.. my hips are over my heels, not the balls of my feet. I always try to get my weight over the middle of my feet, but when i do that and swing i feel like i am going to fall over forward.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just had my lesson this evening, my few key notes i took away from it.

1) better posture, get the hips over the feat more, and the butt out. Help keep me more in balance and off my heals or toes.

2) My alignment issues are caused by chronic pull. I think i am hitting it straight when i am actually aiming 20 yards right and bringing back in. Which isn't good when i actually hit one straight. So we worked on getitng my aim corrected.

3) That showed me i have a serious pull, which we corrected by quieting the hands through impact. Getting the clubhead to travel down the target line more, instead of flipping over. When this proceeded to me to have a push or push fade, we then worked on rotating the shoulders more through impact to square it up. To conteract my flip previously i have been holding on to long with the club.

So systematically i got a few things to work on, but there was progress, some of the best iron shots i hit in a long time. My driver will probably take me a year to work out because that sucker is a beast in its own league.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

slow your swing down a bit, you should take it back slow and start your swing even slower... when you start to shift your weight the swing will automatically speed up and give you much more distance

G 15 irons
calloway wedges
G5 Driver

slow your swing down a bit, you should take it back slow and start your swing even slower... when you start to shift your weight the swing will automatically speed up and give you much more distance

Agree. Also, if you feel like youve only made a half swing, then youve probably made a full one.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Yeah i know, i been fighting overswinging for years.. Really, something i should work on.. probably will..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 months later...
I got to admit, alot of the concepts of Stalk and Tilt have worked really well for me. Sometimes it takes another perspective to see that something is sound in theory and application.

Old swing: Pull Hooks, pushes, fat shots, thin shots, good shots
Though the old swing worked well if my timing was good, i got my handicap down to about 10 with the swing, i still suffered to many ups and downs.

Changes made, I am trying to keep my tush from moving towards the ball in the downswing. Worked on getting my balance better, getting it off my toes.

Now i am working on my swing path, which i have consulted this forum for. I have started to make mental notes to get my hands deeper and drive my hips laterally. Over the past 4-6 weeks i have went from shanks, weak cut, pull slice, push slice; to today were i did not hit one pull slice. By the end of the 9 holes i had a few shots going back to my small draw.

Though i didn't score well, shot 8 over for 9 holes, i had a three hole stretch were i went 5 over par. Mostly due to poor choices for taking aggressive line when i was behind some trees and a shortgame mishap.

I will try to get a swing up sometime in the near future, but the Moral is building and the beatings are subsiding. ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 1 year later...

at about 4 seconds there seems to be a hitch and the lines disappear, thats because i tried to get just my full swing. This is from a video lesson my golf pro does. I muted it, but it should give an idea of what my swing is like. That hitch is not there, my takeaway is smooth. Also the video slows down at the end, that is not in my swing at all.

The down the line view i couldn't past together segments, So it has alot of pauses and reverses, were the golf pro i go to examines the positions in the backswing. I have been inquiring from him just to send me the raw video taken, but i wanted to get something loaded up.

I know i need to work on ball position, and keeping my head from moving. But i feel like i am getting use to the shorten swing, (note the club is at parallel, that feels like 75% back for me, and it feels like i shortened how much i rotate back). I think i am also to close to the ball as well. I am wondering if my head dropping back is part from my ball placement, like i feel i have to get behind the ball so i don't top it. I know the camera height angle might not be standard, but its not bad.

Enjoy

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Good job with shorting it up.  Like you said needs more Want to give you a feel that should help

saevel25 swing 1.jpg

saevel25 swing 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

my only problem is, if i try to keep the clubhead outside the hands, i loose were its at and it feels just wierd to me. I can't stand it, i get to the top and my body tells me, "BAD BAD BAD ABORT"..  I think it just something i am going to have to really work on. You should see the swing last year, i was really dropping my head down, like nearly half a foot drop, and about 3 inches back. Things are really better..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

my only problem is, if i try to keep the clubhead outside the hands, i loose were its at and it feels just wierd to me. I can't stand it, i get to the top and my body tells me, "BAD BAD BAD ABORT"..  I think it just something i am going to have to really work on. You should see the swing last year, i was really dropping my head down, like nearly half a foot drop, and about 3 inches back. Things are really better..

I am in exactly the same boat as you. My backswing now feels so weird I can't even make a decent pass at the ball. I have a long winter ahead of me at the driving range...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• 1 year later...

Swing is coming around, each round has more and more good shots compared to bad ones. Irons are really starting to get tuned into the new swing.

The only problem i have is with the driver. With the ball teed up in my stance, i really have to nail that diagonal swing path, or the ball is either a big pull cut, or a giant push cut. The giant push cuts is me trying to create a false diagonal sweet spot by leaning away from the ball, not good. I started to really try to get that right wrist turning over in the downswing to drop the club inside, once i started that i had some very good success hit some straight fades, and straight draws depending on how much torque i give it. So here's to hoping i can get that nailed down.

I don't know why but the driver just doesn't feel comfortable, i get to the top of the swing and i really want to just unload, flip the club over, and fall away from the ball to smash it. Really tough to for me to stay compact.

Next time i am out i will video the driver swing

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Visualization is a powerful tool. i've been practicing hitting shots to the right of an old golf shaft i have. I put it in the ground about 15-20 feet infront of my golf ball, down my target line. So when i am on the course, i decided to visualize that there, line up to it, and then really feel like i push that ball right of that visualization. For the 3 shots i did that, i hit perfect push draws. To bad for two of them, i rode the wind with the draw and overcooked the shot, both iron shots flew 10-12 yards farther than needed. Nothing like watching a perfect visualized shot track towards the pin on a par 3 just to have it fly the green, man that was dissappointing.

It also gave me focus, and got my head out of my golf swing, big plus :)

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag