IGNORED

Range Balls . . . Inaccurate Distance?

Note: This thread is 6377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Always been curious about how much distance one loses with range balls.
Some places use low compression balls so that people won't drive over the nets/fence so much.

The balls have been hit hundreds of times each and are not hi-quality long distance balls to begin with, so how accurate have you found your range distances to be and how much do you add for your ball?

I'd say add 10-15%. If you hit a 7 iron 135 on the range it is going to go 150-155 when you use a new ProV1.

For a drive of 240 with range balls, that translates to 264-276 ProV1 . . .that sounds about right because I max out at 240 on the range and 275 on the course.

How much do you trust range ball distance and how do you adjust your yardages on the course?

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Always been curious about how much distance one loses with range balls.

10-15 percent sounds right, as an average...but range balls also vary widely, i've found. some are actually relatively close...others that have the dimples all worn away, i would say you lose 25-33%.

personally, i just use the range for directional training. i know when i've hit a ball solid so i'll ignore whatever distance that particular range ball carries so long as it's straight. also, the markers on the range can also be off..

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

I would also warn about trusting the direction of your range balls as well. In the same way they lose distance because of their condition or type, their side spin rates will also be different than a regular ball you would use during your round. A draw/fade on the range might end up being a hook/slice on the course.

However, I guess if you've played long enough and know more about your swing then you should be able to judge how your ball would react based on how you struck the ball on the range.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

I would also warn about trusting the direction of your range balls as well. In the same way they lose distance because of their condition or type, their side spin rates will also be different than a regular ball you would use during your round. A draw/fade on the range might end up being a hook/slice on the course.

i would assume that pros practice with "game" balls, right?

man, your irons are 4 degree up (and 1.5+ longer)? how tall are you? or do swing the club super erect?

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

At the tournaments, yes the pros use range balls that are just like the ones they play with. There are 10 or so (maybe more) different kinds of golf balls from all of the manufacturers. Tiger hits his Nike Ones on the practice range, the Titleist guys hit their ProV1s and ProV1xs and the Callaway guys hit their balls. My understanding is that some of the higher-end courses do the same and use tour quality balls on their range. I know at the Disney courses, they use ProVs on their ranges.

As for your question, I'm 6'7" and a standard lie and length club would kill my back because I would have to bend over so much just to get the club to the ground. I was surprised at the numbers the fitter gave me, but once he handed me the new clubs, within 3 shots I was hitting the ball better than I ever had. Now, the only problem is that if I ever step up to a better club down the road, most chrome forged clubs are limited to just 2 degrees upright and 1/2" extended. I had to get the 410 stainless version of the 735s so I could have them adjusted properly.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

Note: This thread is 6377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!