IGNORED

Fixing Tour Golf Coverage on TV

iacas
Note: This thread is 4739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How would you fix or improve pro golf coverage on TV?

• More full shots/Less putting
    • Show the curve of shots as often as possible
    • Less interviews
    • Less talking (announcers)
    • More use of technology (Trackman, ProTracer, AimPoint, etc.)
    • Less pre-shot routines (unless they're going to broadcast the conversation)
    • Less focus on certain players
    • More "course" shots to show the hole design, layout, etc.
    • More or better instruction

I like the idea of using more technology to track players swings and shots.  More than anything though, I'd like to see more player/caddie interaction played on the air.  Occasionally we get to listen in on what the players and caddies are talking about, but I'd really like to hear more of that.  I think it adds a really interesting dynamic to the entire shot

I agree with you but some of the caddies probably aren't so keen.  They're paid a lot of money, some of them anyway, for knowing just what to say and how to say it in whatever situation.  That kind of knowledge, obtained from years of hard graft and lessons learned the hard way, is highly proprietary - not something to be giving away gratis and for nothing.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I voted for all but 1. I didn't vote for the "less focus on some players" because that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think we should be able to see every shot (except gimme putts) from every player in contention.

I would just vote for - Show as much live golf as possible, and fill the gaps with "just a moment ago" because it happened at the same time we brought you the previous live shot. That's all golf broadcasters need to do to improve 100%

• Upvote 1

but on a further note, I think they just have to keep up the most BASIC of professionalism on the air. The single worst thing about watching the US golf coverage is the sound of some guy breathing all over his microphone. It sounds nothing short of disgusting at worst, and is a major irritation at best. It's simple things like that, that make watching ANYTHING unbearable.

Less talking.  Its great when the announcers explain whats going on, but a lot of the time they just ramble on and on and make little sense.  Gary McCord and Johnny Miller are examples that come to mind.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• 1 month later...

I voted for 2, but 2 & 5 go hand in hand. I would also like to see coverage of the people not doing so great. I want a sense of how they play when they aren't playing their best.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Less Johnny Miller.  Anyone else notice that he has abandoned handicapping every shot with a blank in ten chance etc...

Also, my biggest pet peeve for golf and all sports is LESS GRAPHICS during play.  There is so much clutter on screen it is distracting and in many cases it actually hides the ball or the hole.

Note: This thread is 4739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!