IGNORED

Multicompound Grips

Note: This thread is 6330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I've just purchased a set of Golf Pride Multicompound grips and am trying to fit them to a Proforce Gold 65 shaft but they are not going fully on. Leaving about 1.5 inches to go. I've wasted two grips trying to do this and don't want to waste any more or risk them not fitting any of my other clubs.

Does anyone know if these should fit ok?

Will they fit my other clubs?? Wilson Deep Red Fat Shaft Irons?

Thanks,

Tommy J

In My Bag:
TaylorMade 510 8.5˚ Driver
TaylorMade 19˚ Rescue MidWilson Deep Red Fat Shaft 1, 3-SW IronsCleveland 60˚ WedgeCleveland 14˚ RescueOdyssey 2 Ball PutterSrixon AD333 or Titleist NXT Balls

Hi All,

Tommy J,

The multicompound grips are .600 core, so they can be a tiny bit tougher to get onto the shaft than .580 cores. However, since you're getting them started and then stuck, I'm willing to bet you're not using enough solvent. Be sure the tape is thoroughly covered in it, and also coat the inside of the grip. When in doubt, it's easy to use more solvent and allow the grip to take extra time to dry than it is to get a grip stuck halfway on the shaft. Also, be sure to make sure the drain hole on the butt of the grip is free of obstruction, because if that is blocked, the air trapped in the grip will not allow the grip to slide fully on.

When I soak shaft/tape I also run my hand around the bottom of the shaft, making sure everything is coated well.

gas can - Wouldn't .580 core grips be smaller, thereby be harder to put on than .600 core grips? Also, aren't the Proforce shafts .610 or .615 diameter, which could be exasperating the problem? If so, and while we are on the subject, would putting grips with a smaller core size on a larger diameter shaft result in slightly larger overall grip size?

When I soak shaft/tape I also run my hand around the bottom of the shaft, making sure everything is coated well.

cmarkmyers,

You are exactly right, a .580 core grip is smaller than a .600. However, I seem to find it much easier to install a smaller core grip on a larger butt shaft than the other way around. The grip tends to go on easier with less solvent than a larger grip on a smaller butt for some reason. For the second part of your question, anytime you have a smaller core grip on a larger butt, the grip is always oversized. With a larger core grip on a smaller butt, it is always undersized. For a perfectly sized grip, match the grip size to the size of the shaft butt. To further complicate issues, the OEM standard for men is a .580 core grip on a .600 butt. Even though this is technically +1/64 oversized, it is the standard all OEM's use.

Thanks Guys,

I did use enough solvent and do run my hands along the tape but it seems to just get stuck at the same point, it's not a solvent issue as they go on very easily until that point.
I wasn't sure if I had bought a batch of "second's" but the others look ok so thought it maybe the Butt size?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Tommy J

In My Bag:
TaylorMade 19˚ Rescue MidWilson Deep Red Fat Shaft 1, 3-SW IronsCleveland 60˚ WedgeCleveland 14˚ RescueOdyssey 2 Ball PutterSrixon AD333 or Titleist NXT Balls

multi compound grips are the most difficult grips to install. You must use a lot of solvent. Doesn't have anything to do with size..just the inner lining of the grip is super sticky.

novogolf.com

Thanks guys,

I managed to take the second gripo off using a bicycle pump so didn't loose that one.

I also found that the grip appeared to be getting stuck around the top where there is a manufacturing serial number so I am going to take that off and see if it helps.

Tommy J

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 6330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!