IGNORED

Looking for a new Iron set for 18 handicapper

Fishbones
Note: This thread is 4443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently around an 18 handicapper, been playing for quite a few years off and on and I am looking to get into some new irons.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Callaway Razr XF Hybrid set. I believe these are a super game improvement iron and I am not sure if I should be looking for a super game improvement or regular game improvement so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

when i started out i played ping g10 irons which were just great

but as my handicap dropped to about 20-22 i switched to mizuno mx300s

partly because i just wanted to buy new clubs

also i felt like i was outgrowing them (in hindsight, so not true)

but at 18 i think you'll be just fine playing these or anything similar

i'd suggest game improvement but dont rule out the forgiving players irons

I would go GI because I doubt you'll want to play SGI irons when you start improving. Those things are super clunky. I briefly had the Burner 1.0s when I started playing and liked them, but I ended up switching to my current set because I preferred the thinner look.

Quote:

I would go GI because I doubt you'll want to play SGI irons when you start improving. ...

Some of the tour pros might disagree with you. Colin Montgomerie won tournaments playing big Berthas, and Rocco Mediate won playing Callaway X22s.

Consideration for OP: how much time do you have for golf? If you can practice and play regularly, GI might work. Otherwise, SGI irons might be the way to go.

Whether its GI or SGI, go with a club in which you have confidence, and with a shaft that fits your game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Some of the tour pros might disagree with you. Colin Montgomerie won tournaments playing big Berthas, and Rocco Mediate won playing Callaway X22s.

Consideration for OP: how much time do you have for golf? If you can practice and play regularly, GI might work. Otherwise, SGI irons might be the way to go.

Whether its GI or SGI, go with a club in which you have confidence, and with a shaft that fits your game.

I'm not sure I follow. The irons you mention are, to my knowledge, GI irons. Personally, I think of SGI irons as being geared toward newbies who have trouble making contact with the ball. If the OP is an 18 handicap who used to play, I'm guessing that's not the case. Just my opinion.

I had the X22's graphite, i liked them but i couldnt play well with them. so i bought the nike slingshot2's. I love them!!!! The perfect fit for my game by far are really priced well!! The wife just bought me the Taylormade Rocketballz driver also

Originally Posted by Long Ball Larry

I'm not sure I follow. The irons you mention are, to my knowledge, GI irons. Personally, I think of SGI irons as being geared toward newbies who have trouble making contact with the ball. If the OP is an 18 handicap who used to play, I'm guessing that's not the case. Just my opinion.

That may be what/who SGI irons are geared for, but "decent" golfers can benefit greatly from them.  They can be great performers for players that just aren't newbies and have trouble making contact with the ball.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Larry,

Big Berthas and X22s are UGI if you use Maltby's full 7-category system. If you use Golf Digest's 3-category system, Berthas are SGI and X22s are GI.

SGI (or UGI) irons are more user friendly than the GI, but you can still hit good shots with them. If you understand how the golf swing works, you can hit a fade or draw with almost any iron.

Mid-HDCP golfers with SGI irons probably want to take extra care that the shaft is what they want. The Big Berthas and Ping G10s were SGI/UGI, but came with high-launch stock shafts. Just got the ball up too high for me. The Callaway X20, on the other hand, had a Unfilex shaft with midkick and low-mid torque. Uniflex delivered a solid, medium height launch - just right.

As we keep hearing on ST, the shaft is at least as important as the clubhead model.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I went out and hit some Callaway RAZR X Tour's tonight TT S300 shafts and man were they sweet.

Very accurate but it seemed they launched a little high. Any suggestions on a shaft that may give a better launch angle?

6941241819_471a598dcd_o.jpg

6941241491_98e686285a_o.jpg

6941241997_dcd03ecaf3_o.jpg

6795127774_60ff6ca82f_o.jpg

Just got a set of Miura 9003's from Chip Usher (Usher Golf is site) in Savannah,Ga.

Never hit anything like them. Butter. Worth every dime I paid, then some. Which is saying something given the price of Miura's.

I have played Callaway's forever, Big Berthas, X 20 Tours, and was thinking about buying a set of RAZR blacks when they come out in a few weeks.

Glad I didn't. The feel and trajectory of these Miura's is ten times better than what I have been used to.

-Dan

Note: This thread is 4443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!