IGNORED

Golf ball data for intentional mis-hits?

Note: This thread is 4168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The June 2013 issue of Golf Digest has a great chart showing:

"spin rate for driver (y-axis)" versus "spin rate for wedge (x-axis)"

for various golf balls.

For my game, it would be informative also to see a chart for something like:

"loss of distance for driver (y-axis)" versus "distance from center of fairway for driver (x-axis)"

for robot swings set up for an intentional mis-hit.

While there are several types of mis-hits, perhaps an open club face (maybe pull-slice) with an off-center (toe) contact would be most typical. Has anyone seen such data? Obviously, I'm looking for that perfect combination of decreased spin with driver and increased spin with wedge, but I wonder if there is a more practical way to look at the data. I want to know if that expensive urethane-covered ball is just going to slice into the lake, while that mid-priced ball is going to be fair.

How serendipitous. The May 8, 2013 issue of Golf Digestix has this article on page 6:

ROBOT TESTING of clubs is usually limited to internal research by manufacturers and ruling bodies, none of which is made public. Now, one of golf's largest retailers is publishing its own testing results. Edwin Watts Golf's Advanced Robot Certified Club Matching System includes testing of drivers at multiple impact locations at a swing speed of 95 miles per hour. Robert Anthony, VP of marketing for Edwin Watts, said the results were designed as a tool for its staff, but the retailer's spring catalog and website identified the top-three drivers in several categories—a move that “jump-started the dialogue with our customers.” Tom Olsavsky, TaylorMade's senior director of product creation, questioned the value. “Robots are OK for some things but aren't truly representative of golfers as there is minimal interaction with the golf club, so the feel and visual aspects aren't represented.” A test of fairway woods will appear this summer. — Mike Stachura

I hope this will also lead to ball testing for mis-hits!

Note: This thread is 4168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!