• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
samned

Just getting back into Golf and Need advice.

5 posts in this topic

I used to play about twice a week while in college in the early 1990's and would consistently shoot in the mid 80's. Any way I had to get a real job and got married, had kids and I am now wanting to get back into the game. I have averaged about 6 rounds of golf a year for the past 3 years, and I am needing advice on the irons that I am using.  I am 6'4 and I am currently using a set on Ping Eye 2 Green dots with standard shafts. I hit the ball pretty well but am not getting a consistent loft on the ball, I seem to be also hitting the ball to the left as well.  I am hitting a Burner driver that is a couple of years old with a stiff shaft extremely well and averaging about 250 -260 and hit it straight .

The problem I am having is deciding if my irons should be upgraded. Here are my optionsI am considering

1. Keep hitting the Ping Eye 2 clubs- possibly having

2. Taking a set of Ping G2's ( like new) Black dot standard flex that a friend gave me and get them bent and reworked to fit my          swing

3. Buy a like new set of Titleist 710 ap1 irons from a friend they are standard length and lie for $200.00

4. Look to buy a new set of improvement irons like the Taylormade burner 2.0 or Nike mach speed.

I am really considering buying the Titleist irons they are nice, but really wondering if the Burners would be a better club overall.

Thanks for the help

samned

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

You're better off going somewhere and getting fitted. They'll be able to tell you what shaft you need and if you need any lie/length adjustments. That way you know with complete confidence what you need to do.

I have considered getting fitted to see what work I would need to get done.  I guess my biggest question is do the Ping g2 clubs compare to the modern game improvement clubs? Also would the Titliest 710 ap1 clubs be a better iron than the Burner 2.0?

I am going to retire my Ping Eye 2 clubs and am just trying to find the best bang for my buck.

Thank you

samned

I'd say the Ping G2s are comparable to both the AP1 and Burner 2.0. Both clubs are designed more for higher handicaps. I would doubt if you saw a huge difference between the clubs as far as performance goes. Best thing you can do is hit both and see which ones you prefer.