IGNORED

Just Broke 80 - Time for a golf honeymoon

ForeScore1985
Note: This thread is 4077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My season started off horribly this year. Not to give too much information, but after dealing with a family tragedy, my brother, father, and I decided April of this year was finally a good time for us to take our first Florida golf trip. I was so amped up. Went to the range and practiced, practiced, practiced - and I felt confident in my game. Then we got to Florida, and shot right around 96 every round. I was demoralized. Then, about a month later, I went to visit a friend in Baltimore (affectionately called "Bodymore" by my wife - on account of the bodies outlined in chalk on a daily basis) and I had my clubs stolen out of the trunk of my stupid no-turning-radius Chevy Malibu. My head sank even lower. I've since purchased new clubs (thanks, Travelers!), and continued to hit the links. This past saturday, I went out with my Dad, brother, and Father-in-law and played at Greystone Golf Club in Rochester, NY. Amidst all that pressure to perform, I miraculously pulled a 79 out of my butt and I felt on top of the world. I attribute this to one reason: I stopped trying to play the long ball and impress people with my distance. I took smooth even-tempo swings (which surprisingly yielded plenty of distance), and finally felt like I had my act together. I hope to take this even-tempo mentality through to my next rounds. With this 79, I can't stop reading about the game. I downloaded a USGA golf rules app for my phone, read through this month's golf digest at my desk, and I created an account on this website. Quite a golf honeymoon going on right now. Glad to meet everyone on the forum and I hope to get some good pointers/laughs while I'm here. Cheers, John F.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome story!! It's great that you can enjoy the game with your family, sounds like some good rivalries going on there!

It's great to make a break through, I've been trying to break 100 in the last 12 months and I finally did a few months back and now I'm regularly in the 90s and feeling I can go further with it!!!

Welcome to the forum!

Note: This thread is 4077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!