IGNORED

Integrity in the U.S. Junior Amateur

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Except it doesn't change the lie because the rule requires you to replace the ball. So this rule is double punative. In my opinion the rule should be changed in 1 of 2 ways. If the player causes incidental ball movement in which the ball is moved an insignificant amount (which can be defined as say less than 1 inch). The player should be able to replace the ball to the original spot under no penalty. OR If the player causes incidental ball movement. The player would be deemed to have made a stroke at the ball and must play the ball from the new position. The USGA is not perfect, it's common knowledge that the game feels over-regulated and this is an area that could easily be cleaned up in my opinion.

Originally Posted by saltman

The player should be able to replace the ball to the original spot under no penalty. OR If the player causes incidental ball movement. The player would be deemed to have made a stroke at the ball and must play the ball from the new position.

I think you make a good point. However, I would only agree with the latter. After the ball has moved, the lie has changed and I don't think that you should be made to replace it to the original spot without any penalty stroke. I do think it makes perfect sense that you would just play your next shot from the new position and count the stroke.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Except it doesn't change the lie because the rule requires you to replace the ball. So this rule is double punative. In my opinion the rule should be changed in 1 of 2 ways. If the player causes incidental ball movement in which the ball is moved an insignificant amount (which can be defined as say less than 1 inch). The player should be able to replace the ball to the original spot under no penalty. OR If the player causes incidental ball movement. The player would be deemed to have made a stroke at the ball and must play the ball from the new position. The USGA is not perfect, it's common knowledge that the game feels over-regulated and this is an area that could easily be cleaned up in my opinion.

I don't think that the rule itself penalizes you twice.....if you inadvertently move the ball into a worse lie you replace it too.  The penalty is one stroke for moving the ball, that's all there is to it.  One of the simplest and longest standing rules in the game.

BTW.....long time no see.  Good to have you back!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a baby boy in December and ankle surgery last July. Haven't quite gotten the motivation back for triathlon so I picked up the sticks again. My participation in the forum is directly correlated to how much golf I am playing. My game is odd right now, feels so close, really striking the ball well enough to be low single digit handicap, but can't seem to keep it together for an entire round. As for this rule, the rule may be long standing and simple, but I don't necessarily like it. They could also consider 1 of my suggestions only in closely mown areas. I don't think these changes would make a negative impact on the game at all and still fit in the spirit of playing the ball as it lies. We seem to blindly accept the USGA rulings, but as I said, they aren't perfect. Rules of the game evolve and I think this is 1 they should look at a bit closer.

I had a baby boy in December and ankle surgery last July. Haven't quite gotten the motivation back for triathlon so I picked up the sticks again. My participation in the forum is directly correlated to how much golf I am playing. My game is odd right now, feels so close, really striking the ball well enough to be low single digit handicap, but can't seem to keep it together for an entire round. As for this rule, the rule may be long standing and simple, but I don't necessarily like it. They could also consider 1 of my suggestions only in closely mown areas. I don't think these changes would make a negative impact on the game at all and still fit in the spirit of playing the ball as it lies. We seem to blindly accept the USGA rulings, but as I said, they aren't perfect. Rules of the game evolve and I think this is 1 they should look at a bit closer.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!  I've had a foot problem too and am just starting to ride again.  We won't even talk about my swimming......

OK, back on topic, I'm gonna stick with the whole, play it as it lies and if you cause the ball to move, you get penalized for it.   It's just not all that tough to avoid moving the ball inadvertently.  I doubt that I've done it more than 5 times in my entire golf career.....

......of course the last time was just a couple of weeks ago when I had my head up my....... well, let's just say I wasn't paying attention , and hit the ball while practicing a chip stroke just off the green.  Dumb........

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!