IGNORED

My Swing (PapaMatt)

PapaMatt
Note: This thread is 3282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years (learned a long time ago but never played more than a few times a year until 5 years ago, started taking things more seriously 3 years ago)

My current handicap index or average score is: 14.5

My typical ball flight is: Mid-high penetrating flight but can be right or left.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/Pull draw

Videos:

Use my wife's camera for this which is a nice camera but may not be the best for videoing a golf swing. This was a good one to catch n video as the result was my "big miss": slight pull with a draw on it. 7-iron 174 carry

Other Notes: I have never taken a "real" golf lesson, but did buy some credits on SwingFix with iTeach Dan and did two of those in 2013 and one in 2014. I still have one, hah. He suggested some setup changes and to stop sucking the club back so far inside. That took me from slices all the time to solid shots with the draw/hook thrown in. His suggestion last year was getting the hip deeper and stopping the EE, but as you can see, I still like the goats...

Matt E.

:srixon: Z745 (9.5°)

:touredge: XCG5 4 wood (16.5°)

:gigagolf: Turbo Power Z 7 wood (21°)

Louisville Golf Niblick 7 wood (24°)

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

:mizuno: MP69 PW (50°)

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

:edel: Putter

You have a "shallow to steep" swing and you have to EE in an effort to shallow the strike and swing OUTward. I'd recommend making slow practice backswings with your tailbone a few inches away from a wall and make sure the clubhead doesn't crash into the wall. Take note of how it feels to accomplish that and use that image/feel when you practice.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks mvmac, I will try your suggested practice tip. I know I do exactly what you describe and always have, although it is much better now than two years ago as I was like the opposite of Furyk with quite the loop. But even knowing it, I think I am taking the club back very steep, but when I check the video, i'm not even close to steep and still flat. Feel isn't real and all of that...I will give your tip a go! I'll probably feel like I am swinging like my 5 year old and taking it straight up in the air! :-D

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been working on this and trying Mike's tip. There has been definite improvement, and I have played two rounds with no snap hooks and only a few strong pull draws. I am hitting more fades/slices now. However even though I feel like I am taking it very steep on the way back, it looks on video like I am still flat. :(

Down The Line

Face On

It also looks like the face is way open at the top, but the ball in the DTL video was struck very solidly. Is there another "feel" or thought anyone has they could suggest for trying to get my body to make this move. Are my wrists/forearms rolling and thus I can't take it back steep?

Hitting it better but I know it's still not there.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

It also looks like the face is way open at the top, but the ball in the DTL video was struck very solidly. Is there another "feel" or thought anyone has they could suggest for trying to get my body to make this move. Are my wrists/forearms rolling and thus I can't take it back steep?

Yes and I'd recommend cleaning up some of the pivot stuff, in my experience it can help lessen the amount the arms roll on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Mike, I will work on these for the next couple of weeks. Good threads.

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all - I posted a swing in the forums about a month ago and then an update two weeks ago. I have the same problem now that I know I have had for at least 2+ years. Too flat going back, too steep coming down. I have tried various drills and feels but even when I feel like I am taking it almost in front of me, when I draw a line down the shaft, still outside the ball.

A few years ago, I had the typical beginner's slice and got away from it by really strengthening my grip. Was still flat, but not a slicer. But then I developed a hook...anyway, I have weakened the left hand a bit but the right hand has a tendency to creep under. I was playing around with my grip last night and although i felt quite awkward, a very traditional looking right hand grip seemed to cure the flat backswing problem. I didn't feel like I needed to "try" to anything special to achieve a better position. I am working on the centered pivot Mike suggested, but I wonder if what I am seeing makes sense with this grip change??

With you it's more about the pivot, hips slide back and you "tilt" the torso towards the target, this changes the hand path and rate of forearm rotation. Getting the hips centered and having the upper back "softer" will change the orientation of the shaft. Might not fix it 100% but it's going to be a big help.

But I think I flip because I get stuck without enough room and part of that's the flat swing....I think :)

Bigger part of it is improving Key #2....but you have to address the backswing stuff first. That's not always the case but with you it is.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks a lot Mike. I have been working on this, I promise. :) Feels very different in that position, like I don't even have to try to swing hard to get very good distance.

You mentioned in the other thread I am not inside on the takeaway. So when I draw the line down the shaft in the backswing and it is pointing way outside the ball, why is that? The forearm rotation and hand path you mentioned?

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

You mentioned in the other thread I am not inside on the takeaway. So when I draw the line down the shaft in the backswing and it is pointing way outside the ball, why is that? The forearm rotation and hand path you mentioned?

Yes. You can even experiment with this at home. Make a swing where you really extend the chest early (hips slide back) and note what that does to the left arm. Then make a backswing with the chest pointing a little more down (centered hips) and notice how that keeps the left arm/shaft more in check.

I tend to think of the takeaway being the swing from A1-2 (address to shaft parallel to the ground).

Mike McLoughlin

Since I have been doing all this posting, thought I would show an update. Not there yet but I think this is better.

From DTL I am better than I thought I was as far as where the butt of the club is pointing.

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

Better and good to see it's helping the shaft alignment on the backswing but keep working on it. Right hip works up and around.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Mike. The pic helps a lot. Can one turn the hips too much in the backswing or am I so far from that I shouldn't worry about it. :)

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

Thanks Mike. The pic helps a lot.

Can one turn the hips too much in the backswing or am I so far from that I shouldn't worry about it. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty rare for someone to turn their hips too much, the issue some players can run into is turning them too flat.

Mike McLoughlin

Hithere, when my shots are starting left its because i have casted the club out from top of backswing, When i do this its because i have put too much effort in at the start of the downswing and cast the club out and over the top with my hands and arms. I think it is important to not be in too much hurry to get back to the ball. Think you have some of that in your downswing. I do agree that swinging back on a flat plane is a something you must fix. Other Notes: I have never taken a "real" golf lesson, but did buy some credits on SwingFix with iTeach Dan and did two of those in 2013 and one in 2014. I still have one, hah. He suggested some setup changes and to stop sucking the club back so far inside. That took me from slices all the time to solid shots with the draw/hook thrown in. His suggestion last year was getting the hip deeper and stopping the EE, but as you can see, I still like the goats... [/quote]

I am not supposed to be practicing (doctor's orders) but I have been doing some mirror work without a club and slow stuff with a club and as I am supposed to play tomorrow (doctor's orders :) ) I wanted to see where I am.

I think this is better but still not right. The camera angle is not perfect but the sway is much less now.

Matt E.

Miura Baby Blades 5-PW

Scor Wedges (53°, 57°)

Well, I have been working on this and trying Mike's tip. There has been definite improvement, and I have played two rounds with no snap hooks and only a few strong pull draws. I am hitting more fades/slices now. However even though I feel like I am taking it very steep on the way back, it looks on video like I am still flat. :( Down The Line Face On It also looks like the face is way open at the top, but the ball in the DTL video was struck very solidly. Is there another "feel" or thought anyone has they could suggest for trying to get my body to make this move. Are my wrists/forearms rolling and thus I can't take it back steep? Hitting it better but I know it's still not there. Thanks for any help. Matt

Other Notes: I have never taken a "real" golf lesson, but did buy some credits on SwingFix with iTeach Dan and did two of those in 2013 and one in 2014. I still have one, hah. He suggested some setup changes and to stop sucking the club back so far inside. That took me from slices all the time to solid shots with the draw/hook thrown in. His suggestion last year was getting the hip deeper and stopping the EE, but as you can see, I still like the goats... [/quote]

Other Notes: I have never taken a "real" golf lesson, but did buy some credits on SwingFix with iTeach Dan and did two of those in 2013 and one in 2014. I still have one, hah. He suggested some setup changes and to stop sucking the club back so far inside. That took me from slices all the time to solid shots with the draw/hook thrown in. His suggestion last year was getting the hip deeper and stopping the EE, but as you can see, I still like the goats...

[/quote]hi Hia Matt, just noticed your hips turn all the way to the top of your backswing. Try turning everything together at start of backswing so that your hips are fully turned when your laft arm is parallel to the ground and your wrists fully cocked, from here feel the shoulders turn the arms to the top. Watch the pros and compare that part of your swing with theirs. Good luck pal, hope doc gives you go ahead to ptactice soon. Is fun digging the dirt with lots of things to try, i think its how to find a swing that suits your biomechanics (we all a bit different). Good luck pal

Looking better. I'd like to see you practice the following.

- As you pivot back and as the hips stay forward, feel like you move your head slightly to the right. This will help you keep it steady and get your body in a better position for the next piece.

- On the downswing keeping the weight and hips moving forward.

- And finish with the arms stretched out. Right arm shouldn't get above your sternum. This is a drill/exaggerated feel to start changing the picture with the arms on the downswing/followthrough.

Don't even hit a ball doing this at first. Just make slow rehearsal swings in the garage or in a mirror. Start by doing it piece by piece and then blend it into one motion.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!