IGNORED

Fairway woods #3 and #5

Note: This thread is 6042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a newbie so I appreciate everyone's opinion. A friend of mine gave me some inexpensive Tour Edge woods but now its time to buy my own. On ebay I saw Orlimar VT830 quite cheap are they any good. Should there be something that I should be looking at.

I'm not good enough to really appreciate one thing from another however whatever I buy now I plan on keeping for a while. Any thoughts?

In my opinion that would not be an upgrade over the Tour Edges. But whats wrong with the Tour Edges?

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

They belong to my friend and he lent me them to me while I started playing, however he wants them back to give them to his son.

I see.

I'm not good enough to really appreciate one thing from another however whatever I buy now I plan on keeping for a while. Any thoughts?

This was the tough part for me too; I didn't mind spending the money but I didn't want to do it multiple times as my game improves. I wasn't sure I could actual do that so I decided to get the most bang for the buck.

I looked for clubs discounted from mfg/models that had previously listed on Golf Digest's Gold and Silver lists. That at least gave me somewhat of an idea of what manufacturers I could trust. I scoured the online discount houses and ended up with some MacGregor woods from RockBottomGolf that have served me extremely well and I only have $50 a club invested. As my game improves, future upgrades will be a little less painful money wise. I hope that helps.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

That's great advice, thanks so much! Now if I can buy a magic club in the process I would be golden.

You're welcome and keep asking at this site. There is a wealth of information and experience here from some very helpful players.

My regular pasture.

tough question... i think the best thing to do when starting out is just to get a set of second hand clubs either from the local golf shop or you can pick up some absolutely awesome deals on ebay (if your willing to run the risk)

Nowdays, although technology is being innovated rapidly, a good set of 3-4 year old fairway woods you should be able to get for about $100 give or take $20 depending on the brand and quality.

To be honest with you, i have thought long and hard about this when i started off but just go ahead and spend a little bit more for a better club. Who cares if its 2nd hand because its going to get used anyway and get scuffed up, especially as a beginner. The better brands will get you better clubs, as a general rule, and you will enjoy your golf much more. Read a few other reviews for beginner clubs vs. pro clubs (ie. i wouldn't be going for anything titleist or blade irons for example) and you can't really go wrong.

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

There is a very good review on TST.com. you can find it here .
There are also many other good equipment reviews there on the site, you should check them out.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

> I looked for clubs discounted from mfg/models that had previously listed on Golf Digest's Gold and Silver lists. That at least gave me somewhat of an idea of what manufacturers I could trust. I scoured the online discount houses and ended up with some MacGregor woods from RockBottomGolf that have served me extremely well and I only have $50 a club invested. As my game improves, future upgrades will be a little less painful money wise.

This sounds like 100% solid advice to me - good quality clubs at frugal prices.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Let me pose another questions on this. I have a set of hybrid irons, which I am just learning how to use. Rather than buying #3 & #5 fairway wood am I better using the 3 and 4 Hybrids and using those being that I'm not that good or powerful yet?

I'd say still get the fairway woods because there would be a huge gap between your driver and 3 hybrid. Next time you go golfing I would leave out the fairway woods you are using and see how it works, if it works then I would try it and maybe get a couple mroe wedges. If the gap is too much then I'd say get the fairway woods.

driver - TM r7 425 10.5* Purple Ice Stiff
3 wood - TM r7 TP 15* reg. flex fij. vista pro
7 wood - Cally Big Bertha 21* proforce stiff
4 hybrid - TM Mid 22* reg. ultralight fij.5 hybrid - Nickent 3dx Ironwood 26* fij. banzia stiff irons - Ping eye 2+ 4, 6-pw kt-m stiff wedges - Ping tour 54*...

take a look at the Taylormade Burners. they are beautiful clubs and not too spendy. i wouldnt go with the tp model if you just starting out but the regular burner is great.

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

thanks everyone for your help here. I bought some orlimar VT 830 woods off Ebay, $20 for the pair + $10 shipping - can't complain at that. I figure that for $30 I can't go wrong. Over the winter I will use, get a few lessons at the driving range. And then come spring start this whole thing all over again. I like the idea of the Taylor burners woods so perhaps I shall hold out for them. I think the best thing though is to invest in 4 or 5 lessons.

Once again, Thanks everyone

Note: This thread is 6042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!