IGNORED

3 wood or 15* hybrid

cemeb4dk
Note: This thread is 6049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need to replace my 3 wood this year, and since santa is shortly approaching its the perfect time to ask for a new one. My question and it may sound dumb, but if they are both 15* what would be the difference of the 2. I am assuming head design. I spend more time in the lighter rough then I do in the fairway so I am thinking the hybrid is the way to go.

Any suggestions or info that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. If it matters I am looking into the pIng G10 series of either the hybrid or 3 wood.

Driver: G10 10.5 v2 shaft
3 wood: g10
Irons: I5's green dot
Putter: G5 anser
Wedges: CG12, 52*, 56*Ball: : E6+

One of the big differences between fairway woods, and hybrids is shaft length. Hybrids are designed to be more like irons, than woods. Of course, you could order the hybrid extra long, but that can be problematic. It really depends on your game. Which is going to be better for you in the long run?

If you want a club to hit par 5's in two, go with the 3 wood.
If you need more control on long shots, tee shots on short holes, etc go with the hybrid.

Good Luck!

Randell L. Vansant, PGA
Assistant Professional
Mizuno Brand Ambassador
Spokane Country Club, Spokane, WA
Mail to RandellIn My Bag:Callaway Fusion FT-5 (Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3)Titleist 909 F2 13.5 (Diamana Blue Board)Mizuno CLK 20 Degree Hybrid (Aldila NV Hybrid)Mizuno MP-57 Irons, 4-PW...

I need to replace my 3 wood this year, and since santa is shortly approaching its the perfect time to ask for a new one. My question and it may sound dumb, but if they are both 15* what would be the difference of the 2. I am assuming head design. I spend more time in the lighter rough then I do in the fairway so I am thinking the hybrid is the way to go.

Generally, a 15 degree hybrid will be easier to hit than a 3 wood and certainly easier to hit out of the rough. One reason the hybrid is easier to hit is because its shaft is a little shorter. You will probably hit the hybrid more consistently more often than you will the comparably lofted fairway wood. While you may hit the fairway wood a little farther due to its longer shaft, because you probably won't hit it as consistently as the hybrid, the hybrid may be a better choice for you.

Manufacturers are using every bit of technology to make 3 woods easier to hit ( see the new models such as the Titleist 906F4, as well as models from Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, etc. ). But the design of the hybrid makes it easier to hit than the 3 wood in almost every condition, especially for those of us with slower swing speeds and with swings that don't always allow perfect contact between the clubhead and the ball. Also, and you may laugh a bit at this, you can chip very effectively with a low lofted hybrid. I hope these thoughts help.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 6049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!