IGNORED

My Swing (Cromulent)

cromulent
Note: This thread is 2793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, hit the range for the first time since Christmas this evening... Shank fest 2017!

Decided it was time to put a vid up, so here goes. As an addition, I should say that after taking the videos I kind of sorted out the shanks by rotating my r hand grip a smidge further towards the top of the club. You'll also notice some over-turning of my head on back swing and a bit too much backwards lateral movement.

Anyhoo, I'd be keen to hear your thoughts, thanks guys.

I've been Playing Golf for: 22 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 102-105
My typical ball flight is: push/fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: top,shank, slice

Videos: 

Edited by cromulent
Typo

Taking the plunge into swing threads, huh? Good choice! I took a while to start mine, and have benefitted ever since.

My assumption is that you have no instructor, and that you're a blank slate, correct? 

A good place to start is here:

I'd look at the grip and posture areas first, since those are fundamentals that get the ball rolling correctly.

Then I'd start chipping away at assessing myself against the first couple keys: 

1. Is my head relatively steady?
  2. Am I getting my weight forward?
  3. At impact, are my hands ahead of the ball and is there "in-line" condition from club to wrists to shoulder (used to be call flat left wrist key).

I have my own ideas on these when I look at your videos, but they are a layman's assessment:

1. Seems like your head (and upper torso) dips on the DTL view, perhaps leading to hitting the mat well before the ball?
  2. In the face on, you do start to get the hips forward, but at the end it seems like you're falling backward. At the finish, you should be up fully on your forward leg almost.
  3. Dunno about key #3.

So take it for what it's worth- I was mainly suggesting a framework for you to start assessing yourself here, and others will surely come along to agree or disagree with the direction you are heading in your diagnosis and plan. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great feedback, thanks!

15 minutes ago, RandallT said:

My assumption is that you have no instructor, and that you're a blank slate, correct? 

Correct on both counts, I'm very much open to all thoughts and suggestions. I'll post a couple of vids with a higher frame rate/slo-mo  when I get a chance, the 240 fps setting on my phone didn't respond well to the low light.

#1- Agreed; my head moves a lot in that shot, probably more than I think it is while I'm swinging.

Re #3 - I did upload the videos to the V1 golf app last night and you're absolutely spot on, it would appear that my hands are behind the ball at impact. This would suggest why I'm also hitting iron shot too high and short at times?

I think #2 might be the priority here- I'd be interested what you all think in this regard.

The other thing that I suppose I should mention is that I intentionally posted (with the DTL in particular) shots with poor contact. I'll try to put one or two up too where I felt I hit the ball well.

Thanks again @RandallT, I'd been procrastinating on posting a swing for ages- I feel like progess is imminent now!

6 minutes ago, cromulent said:

I think #2 might be the priority here- I'd be interested what you all think in this regard.

You're on the right track trying to prioritize one thing. Wish I could speak to whether or not this is it! As you know, there are times when there's something simple at the start of a swing that could fix other issues later- so there's no point in attacking some issues- if you miss the root cause!

Much of the battle for me has been watching my own video, and being brutally honest with it. Just having a thread and "talking out loud" about it helps in that regard. 

Glad I can help in some small way to get it kick-started. Don't worry if there's not much traffic at first. Bump it with your own thoughts from time to time, and people notice eventually and have thoughts on where it's going.

Update: cool idea to post the bad contact! I usually pick a representative swing (not best or worst--- but I might think about posting one where I totally shank it!)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Incidentally, if you like a cheap laugh- loop the DTL video from about 1.5 seconds to 3 seconds or so...

I sound like a robot from the not too distant future sent to destroy the world of golf!! :-O

Note: This thread is 2793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!