IGNORED

Pahonix

pahonix
Note: This thread is 7094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most people call me Todd. Pahonix is the way you say the word "phonics" if you were applying what you learned in Hooked On Phonics. :)

I *just* turned 32, am an OK golfer with terrible consistency. The house I grew up in was across the street from the 15th green and 16th tee at the St. Petersburg Country Club in Florida. It's a private club, but that didn't stop me from taking my 8-iron (something my dad brought home from work one day - he's a surveyor and finds all kinds of interesting things on the job) out on the course every once in a while. It was a bit tricky since I had to avoid the annoying security guard that would drive around in his jeep. The course was one of these that winds through a gigantic neighborhood so every hole was lined with streets. I've hid in my share of bunkers, that's for sure. :)

I never really took the game seriously until I moved away to go to college. A couple of friends got me going and I bought a used set of clubs from one of them. I don't know if it was the years of messing with that 8-iron, but the swing came to me a little more naturally than most people and I was quickly teaching myself to make contact more than 50% of the time. :) I spent a summer playing a local course here after they offered a "10 rounds for $130" coupon card. I probably didn't break 90 that summer, but had lots of fun.

My playing time took a hit after that. But then about a year and a half ago, another friend of mine decided she wanted to take golf lessons through the continuing education series at a local community college. After her first six week course, I decided to join her in taking the class again - $54 was tough to beat for what amounted to an hour of range time a week with supervised instruction. Since then I've taken that course again and even the Golf II followup.

The best part about the instruction is I've learned what I was doing wrong all those years and have taken steps to make corrections - mostly problems with my grip. I've now got a good set of fundamentals under my belt and am now working to decrease the inconsistencies in my swing. That simply takes a lot of practice. Getting in shape is another goal of mine.

In the mean time, it's great to have The Sand Trap .com to give myself and everyone else a place to be golfers when we're not on the course.

Hooked On Phonics Worked For Me!

Todd! Great intro, and good idea about hitting the golf lessons through the community college. I got four lessons from my club for Christmas last year, but they're typically too expensive for me to treat myself. I'll have to look to see if there are other options like that locally.

Note: This thread is 7094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!