IGNORED

TaylorMade Driver - Original One

Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I picked up a 11.5 degree Original One 275 cc, small head driver.   Does anyone know whether it was designed to help fade swings....or am I imagining it when I look at it during address?

• iacas changed the title to Taylormade Driver - Original One
  • Administrator

The page doesn't say much in that sense, but… many "consumer" level drivers are built for the average consumer… who slices.

<p>In 1979, golf was changed forever with the introduction of the Pittsburgh Persimmon™ — the original metalwood. For the past 40 years, TaylorMade has continued that legacy of innovation with game-changing technologies...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, if that is true for off-the-shelf drivers, including this one, maybe it is designed that way,  and sure looks like it which is what I don't want -- and I can hit a nice duck hook with it, but that may be my swing at this time.   Thanks...hopefully someone has seen/used one and can also comment authoritatively. 

I have thought of a shorter driver which this is. I looked at the original one....I played the original Pittsburgh Persimmon for maybe 7 years 1980 to 87....I had a 7 degree and I knocked the snot out of it. The new one is like 43 1/2 inches. It is pretty pure though in its face angle. It's not offset or similar. It's a shorter club with a smaller head which swings faster than these monster heads. After thought to go this way....I watched a bunch of the ladies play.....and many of them choke their driver up. So I tried that and became much more comfortable over that club. It feels so much lighter. I would suggest try that before going to a shorter club. It's kinda best of both...Big Head and swings a little faster and with more control. 

True...but I have shafts of 43.5, 44.75 and 45.5 for M1 and M2.  Actually, I also played the original Pittsburg Persimmon 7 degree, after the persimmons.   I thought I'd love this new Original One, which is 43.75', but I'm not yet in love.  We're just dating.  Back to the M1 with the short shaft, for now.    

2 minutes ago, Lil Greener said:

True...but I have shafts of 43.5, 44.75 and 45.5 for M1 and M2.  Actually, I also played the original Pittsburg Persimmon 7 degree, after the persimmons.   I thought I'd love this new Original One, which is 43.75', but I'm not yet in love.  We're just dating.  Back to the M1 with the short shaft, for now.    

Give a try to swinging the longer choked up an inch or so. You might be positively surprised. I was. 

I did try this morning, on the longest 44.5" M2.  Choked up about 1-1 1/2" and hit it pretty damned straight (and high, but I have HL head).  The Original One still needs some getting used to -- really likes to go left so I have work to do if I'm to use the little driver.   Thanks FLOG4

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it today for the 1st time at Golftown. Really loved how it looked in terms of colour and design. I do think the smaller head looks better at address but didnt ask to hit it.

Saw the loft went as high as 13.5.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to TaylorMade Driver - Original One
Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!