IGNORED

The Pro-Am Tournaments

Bucki1968

I guess I'm going to vent a little bit here because I'm not understanding why the tour is not really giving a crap about the "Bob Hope" and the "The Crosby Clambake", because back in the 80's these used to be two of the biggest tournaments on the Tour. Maybe I'm just turning into an old man, but the fields that these tournaments used to get where the some of the best of the season. I'm speculating that once Bob Hope passed away, a lot of the tour players. figured they could now not show up and won't piss anyone off? I kinda see the same thing going on at Bay Hill the past few years (I've actually heard a lot of tour guys don't like the course). I'm wondering if it's a "I don't like the format" or "I don't like the golf course(s) kind of thing or what? They all have big time sponsors, who I can't believe are okay with the tour not helping them out somehow (I know that the Palmer is an "elevated" event this year). I'm being selfish with this, but I always really enjoyed watching the guys play with celebrities in sunny California because we were sitting in two feet of snow whishing, we could be out there playing. I suppose it's just something that is not as popular anymore (Pro Am)? The Hope and the Clambake used to get a ton of movie stars, athletes, entertainers etc. Maybe it's a generational thing?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to The Pro-Am Tournaments
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

Maybe I'm just turning into an old man, but the fields that these tournaments used to get where the some of the best of the season.

Pace of play sucks. Tiger used to play at the Pebble one, but… rounds routinely take over six hours, and you have to deal with some vanity 12 handicappers for at least three rounds.

The top players play 20-ish times a year out of the 50 or so tournaments, and this one doesn't make the cut. Next week is a designated event, too. Bay Hill is as well. Then you're into the Players and then not long after that the Masters.

Rumor is next year Pebble will be a designated event, too. Maybe its ordering will change a bit. Match Play is probably gone, too, so maybe it'll be that week.

I avoid playing when rounds will take five hours — can you imagine what it's like to take 6:30?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I avoid playing when rounds will take five hours — can you imagine what it's like to take 6:30?

Edited...

Just noticed this was about a Pro-Am, I think in general pace of play on the PGA tour is absurd. Yea, unless you wanted a paycheck, like these events, or have a buddy who wants to play in these type of events, I wouldn't play in them. 

I've been in a scramble where they had every hole double booked. I think it took 6-6.5 hours. At least there you can drink and BS with your buddies. 

Yea, they need to really enforce some rules to speed up play. It is absurd it takes that long. It is just a more boring product on TV. 

I remember Spieth in the Masters about 5 years ago now. I was almost yelling at the TV for him to hit the F**** ball. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Pace of play sucks. Tiger used to play at the Pebble one, but… rounds routinely take over six hours, and you have to deal with some vanity 12 handicappers for at least three rounds.

The top players play 20-ish times a year out of the 50 or so tournaments, and this one doesn't make the cut. Next week is a designated event, too. Bay Hill is as well. Then you're into the Players and then not long after that the Masters.

Rumor is next year Pebble will be a designated event, too. Maybe its ordering will change a bit. Match Play is probably gone, too, so maybe it'll be that week.

Yea I get it. I am a huge opponent of slow play so I can't say that I would blame them. But you would think...once a year? Phoenix is elevated.  Would you rather play Pebble Beach or TPC Scottsdale? That's an easy choice for me. Hell...the Palm Springs courses are better than that piece of crap in Scottsdale. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Yea I get it. I am a huge opponent of slow play so I can't say that I would blame them. But you would think...once a year? Phoenix is elevated.  Would you rather play Pebble Beach or TPC Scottsdale? That's an easy choice for me. Hell...the Palm Springs courses are better than that piece of crap in Scottsdale. 

The course plays a tiny role in where a guy chooses to do his job. TPC Scottsdale doesn't take 6.5 hours and pays a lot more. The choice is easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets