IGNORED

How do you drop hints?

bogeyme
Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you guys/gals do to drop hints about what you would like for gift giving occasions whether it be father's/mother's day, birthday, Christmas (or any other religious holiday) or anniversary? Last night I was presented with the perfect opportunity to drop a "hint" if you will. We were at Olive Garden (man I love that place) celebrating my brothers 21st birthday. Some how my wife and my mother got on the subject of shopping at Kohl's (both of their favorite place to shop) and my brother says "You know I found a way to get a bunch of fuel points at Kroger. You buy gift cards at Kroger to where ever you're planning on shopping and that way you get bonus points for buying the gift cards." I said "Speaking of gift cards I'd like gift cards to Golfsmith so I can buy some new golf clubs. Which you can convinently purchase at Kroger."

Now I know it wasn't really a hint that I would like gift cards to Golfsmith but I think I got my desire across to everyone at the table.

So what are some of the things you guys do outside of circling a specific item in an ad or printing it off of the net and handing it to someone?

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Before Father's day, I showed my wife a putter and asked what she thought. I said it was pretty cool and left it at that. On Father's day, I got a gift Certificate for a Yes! putter .

I circle the requested item in the catalogue or print off the picture from the internet, including loft, lie, color, whatever details are needed to ensure the correct gift is purchased. My wife and I are well beyond trying to show our love by guessing the perfect item for each other. After too many rings taken to the pawn shop or sold for a fraction of the purchased price at a yard sale and closets full of shirts and ties that no one wears, we both agreeded to just simply ask what the other wanted. Saves time and money. You know the old saying "it's not the gift that counts, it's the thought." That's fine if you have unlimited funds, but buying the wrong $300 driver or [ring, shoes, jacket, insert wife's favorite item here] is a needlessly expensive way to say "I Care". I save the surprises for the times I really do know for sure it is the perfect gift, and usually don't wait for an occasion. That really scores "brownie points", more so than an expected gift they will never use.... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

I don't do hints.

I started a wish list when I was a little kid, and I've just updated it as years pass. When my wife asks what I want for my birthday/anniversary/Christmas/whatever, I forward her the latest copy of that list (it's in Excel).

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

I agree, dont drop hints just tell them what you want.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree, don't waste time dropping hints. Just tell them what you want. We even go further than that in our house. I just buy myself something and tell my wife I bought it for myself for Christmas. She usually does the same. There's never any disappointment because you always know you're getting what you want.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I don't do hints.

I am going to have to start doing this. Every time I hint about something she either forgets, or gets the wrong thing. I will usually have to tell her exactly or circle it in a catalog. Even if I just say I want a Nike Body Mapping navy blue shirt, I will end up with an double knit off brand cotton polo that is not even close.

As far as how to drop hint though...usually the best way I have found is to look very interested in something saying you would like it, but don't want to spend the money for it now. Hopefully, she will take note of it and get the hint.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• Administrator
I agree, don't waste time dropping hints. Just tell them what you want. We even go further than that in our house. I just buy myself something and tell my wife I bought it for myself for Christmas. She usually does the same. There's never any disappointment because you always know you're getting what you want.

We do the same thing. We're adults, that's why. What's the point in trying to "surprise" someone? If I want something, I buy it. The wife does the same thing. Why force her to wait for something she wants to use? Ditto for me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a few weeks leading up to Christmas I would answer my girlfriend's calls by saying, "hey, I'm watching the Red Wings game, can I call you back after?" And sure enough, on Christmas, I was presented with two Wings tickets on the glass, but she also made me assure that I would stop ignoring her during games.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

I am going to have to start doing this. Every time I hint about something she either forgets, or gets the wrong thing. I will usually have to tell her exactly or circle it in a catalog. Even if I just say I want a Nike Body Mapping navy blue shirt, I will end up with an double knit off brand cotton polo that is not even close.

I include a link, either to a retailer, or the manufacturer to avoid any confusion. My wife just doesn't "get" what I'm asking for a lot of the time, so I am very specific.

My wish list also serves as a shopping list for me whenever I have the means. I'll also use it for when I have a project going, whether it be on a vehicle or around the house to get any tools I may need. I keep track of good cigars I wouldn't mind getting, guns and toys I want, as well as books I'd like to read. Some is practical, some is ridiculous.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

I usually get yelled at because I buy what I want. But I have found that makes her get creative and in turn I get a gift that means something.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!