IGNORED

Graphite shafts for irons

Gary W
Note: This thread is 6673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why are graphite shafts considered optimum for drivers and fairway woods, but not irons? Seems like the conventional answer is because of shaft rotation, i.e. torquing.

But that doesn't seem to be consistent with the fact that the higher swing speeds achieved with a driver would only aggravate the torquing problem.

Anyone know?

BTW, you've a nice web site here. Good work.

Cleveland Ti460 10.5*  |  Cleveland 17* Steel  |  Mizuno MP60  |  Nicklaus JN nickel plated - 52.10, 56.12, 60.09  |  Ping Anser 4
Play it like you found it.

• Administrator
Why are graphite shafts considered optimum for drivers and fairway woods, but not irons? Seems like the conventional answer is because of shaft rotation, i.e. torquing.

Weight

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have graphite in my irons and swear by them.No golfers elbow or shoulder pains for this old man!!!

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• Administrator
I have graphite in my irons and swear by them.No golfers elbow or shoulder pains for this old man!!!

That's another reason people do it in their irons - less vibration. I'm 27, though, so I'm okay there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not seen many Iron sets with more flexible options when they have steel shafts. But I have seen some with graphite that come in Ladies or Seniors flex. That is certainly not always the case, but looking at a couple of different manufacturer sites seems to indicate that.

A lot of great graphite iron shaft options these days. Recently played the Aldila NV Mlti Tour shafts in 130 gram weight and they play every bit as good as Dynamic Golds and have less torque and no pain for us older hacks. Just didn't get the ball flight that worked for me so wound up going with the Project X 6.0 shafts and they seem to be working.
Noticed today in the Golfworks catalog that the UST harmon CW 95 graphite iron shafts have been upgraded but so has the price!! It doubled over last years model.
By the way, The Aldila's are great shafts but be prepared to spend $400 just for the 3-pw and another $50 a peice for 2 iron and wedge shafts. Don't know exactly what it would cost to have them installed as I do my own work.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

Note: This thread is 6673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!