IGNORED

Why?

Surefire
Note: This thread is 5701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It bugs me a bit when someone asks a question in a thread and then people reply saying I don't know! I'm not just talking about this site, it bugs me even more when I post a technical question somewhere like MSDN and get this response!

Why do people do it?

If you don't know the answer surely its better to just not contribute, unless the question was directly addressed to you?

Ok thats my rant over, althought I will be interested to hear other peoples opinions of this.

I haven't noticed it myself, but it does seem weird. If someone says they don't know the exact answer but then provide some possible answers or solutions then it makes sense. Or, maybe they feel as if they are the expert on whatever message board you are on and if they don't know then it is a difficult answer or solution. Even though they may not in fact be the expert, by saying they don't know it puts it out there that they think it is a tough one.

Now I'm sure I'm going to notice it all over the place too!
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get more annoyed when people post to use the search button. I can see when its a commonly asked question, but people will put that for a topic that had three posts on it 3 months ago.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

It bugs me a bit when someone asks a question in a thread and then people reply saying I don't know! I'm not just talking about this site, it bugs me even more when I post a technical question somewhere like MSDN and get this response!

IMO that's (posters saying "I don't know") a lot better than those who post responses as if they DO know when their response turns out to be dead wrong.

It bugs me a bit when someone asks a question in a thread and then people reply saying I don't know!

What is "because it's the internet" Alex?

I agree with you Gasman. I have said it once or twice, but usually only in regards to posts that have the exact same question as the one right below it.

Agreed.

I also make exceptions for golfing newbies. Even though they may ask a question that's been asked 1,000 times . . . when you are just starting out, you are sure that there is something unique about your particular situation re: clubs, shoes, lessons, etc. and the only way to get a correct answer is to list those factors. So I provide an answer (or try my best), and then provide links to similar questions along with an explanation of why the answers in those linked threads apply to the OP as well. I mean, when you are considering dropping several hundred dollars just to find out if you even like this game, I think a little sympathy from the peanut gallery is in order. There's no reason to be rude.

I don't get it!

Oh, sorry!

Saturday Night Live had a running skit with Will Ferrell called celebrity jeopardy (I'm sure there are vids all over youtube.) And so, whenever I answer something in the form of a question like on Jeopardy, I include that picture. I have no idea why I feel the need to answer in the form of a question. Variety probably. Add a little humor so that they (you) know that I'm not trying to be rude. As for the actual answer . . . "it's the internet" is shorthand for "there is no way to explain why people do what they do when they know they are anonymous." With regard to your specific question: maybe they are attention wh0res, maybe they don't want the OP to feel lonely or feel like people are ignoring the post, or the other stuff that B-Man said. Basically, there is no rhyme or reason, and if you think about it too much and try to find a pattern, your head might explode!

Note: This thread is 5701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!