IGNORED

Playing your own game

Mermaid
Note: This thread is 5697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello I am new. And please forgive and point me in the right direction if this subject has already been addressed. I tried searching for it.

My problem is how to continue to play your own game when your partner is having a bad day with temper, etc. Or we get behind a ridiculously slow player(s) and my partner is impatient and complaining when we can't play through.

Are there some methods to keep me on track and ignore what is going on around me?

Mermaid

I have a bit of a three step approach. First I tell myself that I am on the golf course to get away from the stress of life and to have intense focus on a single narrow topic that is golf.

Then I try and find something my partner is doing well or make light of my own game some to attempt to calm them down.

If it is pace of play or the partner won't listen, then I kinda zone out while waiting and let my mind wander to what I would do if I could just golf all the time or I think about drills I should do to fix my game over the next week, sometimes I go to my "happy place."

If you are playing with me and I made it to the third step then all you get as responses is "yes" or "i understand" they are fully automated and I will just agree to anything so I don't have to listen anymore.

Then when it is my turn to hit the ball, I flip the switch, start my routine and fire away like I am the only one on the course.

-E

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Good advice from Eeryck. Golf is supposed to be fun. Also, if you don't have all day on a weekend or are trying to 'squeeze' in a round, don't go. Slow play can be so frustrating.

How to pass the 'down time' during a round. Make sure you have a club cleaning tool and get to work on that wedge! Bring along drinks and/or snacks to help pass the time. Sit in the cart or stand and watch other players around you if you can. Grab another ball and chip around the area while you wait.

Lots of stuff to keep you occupied. And remember, the 'down times' on a course provide an opportunity to do some constructive/productive or ruin your round and day. You choose what happens.

And what's that old saying? "A bad day on the course is better than any GOOD day at the office."

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the advice. Slow play is not a problem with me because I need time to think about what I am going to do next anyway. It's just the reaction I get around me. Yes my partner is my husband so I cannot really tell him to cool it. So I'm going to have to shut him out somehow. Amazing how pros can shut out the public watching them. I freak out just when someone behind us is watching. LOL. Guess I better get over that too.

Thanks,
Mermaid

Thanks for the advice. Slow play is not a problem with me because I need time to think about what I am going to do next anyway. It's just the reaction I get around me. Yes my partner is my husband so I cannot really tell him to cool it. So I'm going to have to shut him out somehow. Amazing how pros can shut out the public watching them. I freak out just when someone behind us is watching. LOL. Guess I better get over that too.

Hey Mermaid-just a thought but I would think because it is your husband it would be the easiest person to tell they have to cool it. I know I take more crap off my wife than I would the everyday golf partner.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Bring a 6 pack with ya. Makes other people's ranting much more tolerable.

909 D2 8.5° Fubuki Tour 73x
975f 14.5° DG R300
909H 19° AXIVCore Tour Red 85x
690.mb 3-pw DG S300
Z TP 52° and 56° Studio Select Newport 2 34"

I deal with this problem with my wife every week.

She always struggles the first few holes and is impossible to even hold a conversation with. If the play is slow then that must be what is causing her problem (according to her),it could be the people we are paired up with that bug her for some reason - I just ignore her until she grows up. I will admit slow play will always hurt my game but if there is no place to go on the course you just have to deal with it.

I treat the game as 18 mini games. If I triple a hole I just take the attitude of getting it back the next hole.

If play is slow I will BS with cart girl a bit to let the peeps in front of me get ahead so I may get to play one hole without stopping. Luckily by the 6th hole my wife is usually back to normal and the rest of the day is stress free.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!