IGNORED

30 yards out.

Sandy Sammy
Note: This thread is 5646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

without trouble as you described is a 9 to 3 swing with my 52 (with a full release of the club). to cary trouble I would move the ball forward in stance and open a 60* and swing 3/4 wedge with no weight transfer. I prefer the lower running shot when a flop is not needed.

I have a short swing I use on shots from 80-30 yards. Bring it half way back and choked down to the bottom of the grip. Just a little wrist for feel and accelerate through the shot. Basically, a punch shot and choked down grip. Same swing regardless of distance and I use the following rules:

That's sort of in line with what Dave Pelz says about most people being far more accurate punching with a 5-iron than they are trying to drop a soft SW onto the green from 85 yards out.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

with all respect dob.......i dont prefer a pitching wedge for "bump and run......

Most of this kind of "advice" is pointless in this form because there are so many variables to consider. Which club you use for these kind of "feel" shots depends on many factors, not the least of which is what club feels comfortable to you.

You have to consider: The lie (tight, soft under, firm), flag position (how much green to work with), greens (soft, firm, wet, dry), trouble behind or in front? Lie going up hill, down hill? Green elevated, level or below you? Practicing shots of various distances with different clubs is essential. You have to find what works for you when you want the ball to go 20-30-40-50 yards, high, low, drop-n-stop, hit and release. There are not set answers to "what club should I hit 30 yards?" or "what club do I use to pitch and run?". SubPar

with all respect dob.......i dont prefer a pitching wedge for "bump and run......

Depends totally on the situation. If the green is elevated high enough, then a PW might even be too low lofted. Or if you're on a downhill lie to an elevated green. Then too, you're style comes into the picture. Do you play the ball well back in your stance? Do you deloft the club, and if so, how much?

As SubPar said, there are simply too many styles and variables to make any one answer all encompassing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree, there are so many variables that come into the decision. But to give one single answer, personally, on that shot I would likely use a sand wedge, close the face and aim to land the shot about 15 feet short of the flag and 3-4 foot to the right side. The ball will naturally run towards the hole (left) and hopefully stop within 3 feet. It all comes down to feel and execution though.
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

If you got nothing between you and the hole, you should try a low shot. Anytime you can put something running, do it. Otherwise, try and play a grab-chip, that means a chip that hits, jumps and stops right next to teh hole

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

I would play a low spinner with a 60* or a 56*.

If winning isn't everything why do they keep score?
- Vince Lombardi

In my Ping Hoofer 08 camo bag :
Cobra 454 Comp 10.5* UST ProForce V2 stiffTaylormade R7 TP 15* UST ProForce V2 stiffTaylormade R7 TP 17.5* UST ProForce V2 stiffAdams A1 Pro Idea 4-PWTitleist Oil Can 52*Titleist Oil Can Spin...

I tried the tiger shot in the video on a par 3 course (average hole distance 150yrds) and had some real success Sunday, I think the secret is to get the hips out the way. My mid/long iron game was a bit rubbish, rain was dreadful though.

Note: This thread is 5646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!