IGNORED

Can I do it?

Baraethon
Note: This thread is 5669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now I shoot in the low 100's, with a good round being in the high 90's. My goal is, by June to be able to shoot in the high 80's consistently. I will be taking lessons probably once or twice a month, hitting into a net in my garage every day, and going to the range at least twice a week. The only chances I have to work on my chipping if the range, and I can't really work on my putting, unfortunately.

Do you think it is realistic to accomplish this goal? I'd like some tournament experience before I try out for the high school team in July/August, and my age division requires that I be under 90 consistently to even be eligible.

Any tips would be really great, thanks.

Driver: Big Bertha 460 11* w/ Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 65R
Woods: Big Bertha 3 and 5 wood stock shaft, Light flex
Hybrids: None
Irons: Viper Tour 4-PW -1", 4* flat
Wedges: X-Tour 52.11*, 58.9*Putter: Classic 3 33"The Thing That Goes In The Hole (hopefully): NXT Tour"30 minutes a day keeps...

Right now I shoot in the low 100's, with a good round being in the high 90's. My goal is, by June to be able to shoot in the high 80's consistently. I will be taking lessons probably once or twice a month, hitting into a net in my garage every day, and going to the range at least twice a week. The only chances I have to work on my chipping if the range, and I can't really work on my putting, unfortunately.

I suggest you ask your instructor what your realistic expectations should be. After all, he or she will be aware of your skills, your attitude, your dedication and your potential - much more so than anonymous people like me.

I went from shooting in the high ninety's to the high eighties (occassionally low 80's) after taking a series of lessons and then practicing regularly. This drop was over a 3 month period in which I practiced at least twice a week and played once or twice a week.

My take is that you can do it but you will have to put some practice into your short game to reach your goal.

Good luck.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

bottom line: you got to want it! when i started playing a few years ago, i was horrrendous, shooting 110's-115's on 18. i started going to the range daily and hitting upwards of 200 balls some times. i developed a swing that worked for me and was open to any information that came my way. i never took a lesson and i am a self-teaching kinda golfer. watch as many youtube lessons as you can! i chip around in my living room(bless my parents and our walls haha). try finding 1 go-to club to chip with and work with it(i use a 52* wedge). for putting, i use my living room again. i dont put with one of those kick back type machines, i just put straight on and focus on making a consistent stroke. bottom line is to keep practicing. i lowered my handicap all the way to an 8 in just 2full seasons golfing, i shoot very low 80's and sometimes in the 70's. keep working and you can accomplish anything.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Yes, with practice and sound advice, you can reach your goal. I wonder though about not being to work on your putting as that accounts for a large share of strokes during a round of golf. You can always putt on carpet or get a mat or if you are close to a golf course, spend time putting rather than visiting the range.

Good luck!

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Meh, I rarely 3 putt. Maybe once, twice at most, in 9 holes. My putting pretty decent, by my main problem is I don't have the distance to get on any green except a par 3 in regulation.

Driver: Big Bertha 460 11* w/ Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 65R
Woods: Big Bertha 3 and 5 wood stock shaft, Light flex
Hybrids: None
Irons: Viper Tour 4-PW -1", 4* flat
Wedges: X-Tour 52.11*, 58.9*Putter: Classic 3 33"The Thing That Goes In The Hole (hopefully): NXT Tour"30 minutes a day keeps...

You must find a way to practice your putting and chipping. You ultimately will save the most strokes in that part of your game. One or two three putts in nine holes is one or two too many.

If you have a decent wedge game and can average less than 36 putts per 18 you should shoot in the high 80s.

Can you putt inside on the carpet? Anything to get the putting stroke consistent will help you in the long run.

If you can hit balls in the garage everyday you can certainly work on the most important aspects of chipping/pitching: ball striking . Even if you can't hit to a real target you can work on varioius trajectories, and work on hitting the ball instead of the ground.

If you commit to your goal AND commit to every shot there's no reason you can't succeed.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

You can do anything you want to do if you work hard enough. I went from shooting in the 100's to shooting a 79 in the same year on the same course from the same tees.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

I think you can do it!

But I will echo the advice of the others that you should find a way to practice your short game and putting.

Success in competition often comes down to making clutch putts.

Good Luck!

I know you can do it! You already sound committed to achieving this feat. Practice, Practice and more Practice. I truly believe if you practice from the hole backwards its the fastest way to lower your score and remain consistent.

1) putting on your carpet at home to groove distance control making solid contact and of course on the putting green.
2) chipping around the green
3) pitch shots to get up and down
4) approach shots to the green
5) long approach shots
6) drivers to hit fairways

the practice time should be a upside down pyramid for the above, so the most time is spend on putting, then chipping around the green on down the list above it may not seem fun at first but the results will speak for themselves.

course management and a positive attitude towards golf. never getting to excited about a birdie, eagle, a great drive and at the same hand not getting down on your self for 3 putting or chunking a approach shot, in other words an even temperment and always remaining positive to yourself and other players.

finally playing 9 hole courses to sharpen your short game so that your putts per round and your up and down stats are improving.

Remember say to yourself that you will make the golf team and have a plan to how you are going to achieve this goal on a timeline from your golf trial outs date backwards to today and how you are going to close that gap to consistently break 90.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!