IGNORED

Scratch Golf

Borf
Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like some feedback from some of the best players here, if you could answer my questions that would be awesome!

In a few sentences just sum up some of the keys along the way that allowed you to achieve a 0 hcp.
How long did it take you to become scratch? (or better)
Do you have any new goals in golf?

please feel free to comment further,

Cheers!

In a few sentences just sum up some of the keys along the way that allowed you to achieve a 0 hcp.

Get a job at a golf course. I did four years ago. Started as a 4hdcp. Have had a golf club in my hands practically everyday since. Now I'm a +1.5. Play in tournaments, play in skins games, play with others that are better than you. You'll see how easy they make it, and that you're game isn't really all that much different. Make. Your. Putts!

How long did it take you to become scratch? (or better)

Two years of hardcore dedication. I've always been pretty good. Captain of HS Golf team, around a 5-7 HDCP since, but the last few years, like I mentioned, working at a club has taken me to the next level.

Do you have any new goals in golf?

Successful career on the Japanese PGA Tour. Then onto the PGA Tour. Which aren't really new goals, but my long term goals since childhood.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Not a scratch player, but I have played with them and here's what I see. First, Ben is correct in everything he said. But, here's what else I see:

1) They're solid in all facets of the game. They're comfortable hitting a 4 iron. They're not the longest driver or best putters, but they're generally in control of their game

2) They miss it in the right spots. They don't put themselves in jail with no hope of recovery. No fades off the tee into the trees when it's a dogleg right. They'll miss it left and give themselves a shot to the green. They've got no problem clubbing down off the tee and having 190 to the green (see #1).

3) Their short game is top notch. But, once again, they miss it in the right spots, so they don't need a miracle shot, just a solid shot that gets them a short putt. And this is true for the par 5s. Maybe they reach, but more likely they get inside of 30yds, make a good chip, and then make the 4 foot birdie putt.

4) When they hit a good drive, they take advantage of it by hitting their wedge inside 15ft, giving themselves a great chance to make birdie.

When they shoot par, they'll generally have 3 bogies and 3 birdies. Hit 4 balls inside to 15ft per round, you'll probably make 1. Add that one to a birdie on a par 5, one good shot on a par 3 and you've got your birdies. But, he'll have to make 3 or 4 putts for par after missing the green. 3 bogies and the rest will be GIRs and two putts.

Remember that scratch doesn't mean you score even par everytime you play. So, there will be bad days that don't get included in the handicap calculation.

I achieved a 0 index this season, I have been playing for almost 10 years before I reached 0! I really can't remember exactly when I started....

I rarely practice, but I have to be playing almost everyday to be able to keep my handicap down.

It takes playing everyday to keep my short game sharp, even a few days off and I will be rusty with the short game.

Agree with what everyone else has said.

The thing that's helped me is practicing the correct way rather than just going to the range and beating balls.

Really have to work on your short game too. Short game should get majority of your practice time over range time. I used to go to the range all the time and didn't work on short game much at all, but decided to work on short game more than anything this year and the funny thing that I've seen happen is that there's been little to no difference in my long game this year compared to last year when I was going to the range a lot. I still hit about the same amount of fairways and same amount of greens, but the difference is really in short game. I'm really comfortable around the greens now and feel like I can pretty much get it up and down from anywhere around the green or at least give myself a great opportunity to do so.

Like others have said, being well rounded is the best way to get to scratch. You don't have the hit the ball a mile and don't have to make every putt. You just have to not make huge mistakes like hitting OB or water hazards three times each round that adds 10 shots onto your score. Once you can eliminate the really dumb mistakes and penalty strokes, you can shoot some low scores.

There is one thing that has not been mentioned and that is the fear of going low or rather being in uncomfortable territory with your game. I have been there and so has every other golfer I have played with. I have been as low as +1.8 and the reason I am now playing off 0.9 is due to putting, girls, beer and living on an island which is great in a way. To put it simply, I cannot putt anymore. I could hit the ball inside 20 feet all day and make 2 putts if that. The yips and not just from 2 feet, from 15 feet as well for me anyway but not to worry. When I got to scratch many years ago, I thought I was good and when I went lower, I thought I was getting really good but at the end of the day, being off scratch does not mean you are a good golfer if you are thinking of making it as a tour player because if you are thinking like that, you will not go very far. From my experiences, you need to be off +3 or better to be a tour professional as shooting par gets you nowhere when it is your living.
As I have said, THE FEAR is always there. The trick is to not have fear in your game but how do we overcome it? I do not have an answer for that except to just trust your swing and think about your next shot, not your current shot.
Cheers

There is one thing that has not been mentioned and that is the fear of going low or rather being in uncomfortable territory with your game. I have been there and so has every other golfer I have played with. I have been as low as +1.8 and the reason I am now playing off 0.9 is due to putting, girls, beer and living on an island which is great in a way. To put it simply, I cannot putt anymore. I could hit the ball inside 20 feet all day and make 2 putts if that. The yips and not just from 2 feet, from 15 feet as well for me anyway but not to worry. When I got to scratch many years ago, I thought I was good and when I went lower, I thought I was getting really good but at the end of the day, being off scratch does not mean you are a good golfer if you are thinking of making it as a tour player because if you are thinking like that, you will not go very far. From my experiences, you need to be off +3 or better to be a tour professional as shooting par gets you nowhere when it is your living.

I can't find the actual article from Golf Digest, but they did an article a while back about par golf and how a PGA Tour player would do if he shot even par. This isn't the actual article but it's copied/pasted from the site and you'll get the idea:

http://probablegolfinstruction.com/P...ws10-27-05.htm I think you'll be surprised. You're right though, you have to get comfortable with going low. I finally broke through and had a personal best this year but before I actually was able to break through, I was right there so many times to have that super low score and I basically scared myself out of it because I started thinking about it. Over time, I put myself in that position more and more and finally was comfortable enough to play knowing that I was a few under and could have a career round.

Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!