IGNORED

Modern driver sweet spot?

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read this today: "...make sure you tee the ball high enough. With new drivers, the sweetspot is on the upper portion of the clubface, not the center."

Is that true? I've been setting up for a dead-center hit. Should I tee up higher?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Well it depends on which diver you have and how you swing. If you look at the face of your driver it should be fairly obvious where the sweet spot is on mos drivers i have since its indicated by the smooth part instead of where there are groover. However i don't know how the swing affects it but my club pro said it does and has shown how high i should tee it for my club and swing. Which is roughly 1/3 of the ball showing above the club if you look from behind.

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

Most places I've read, and my experience says that the middle of your ball should be teed up level with the top of your driver head.

The driving range at my course allows for a good view of where the balls land so it is relatively easy to see how far I hit my driver. I've found that my longest drives (in the air) are hit between 1/2 and 2/3 up on the clubface.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

You're aiming to hit the ball slightly on the upswing with a driver hence teeing it half-ball above the top of the driver face should allow you to still make contact with the sweet spot - usually the bit without grooves on a lot of them. If you're making a descending contact though, you'll get a lot of skies teeing at this height.

If you want to find a sweet spot in any club, try this:

Dangle the club by holding the shaft between forefinger and thumb.
Gently tap all over the face of the dangling club with a ball.
The sweet spot is the bit where there is no torque (i.e. no club rotation) generated by the contact and the club just swings straight back and forward. You'll get no vibration in the finger and thumb dangling the club either.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!