IGNORED

Bermuda greens?

hrossroth
Note: This thread is 5654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in New Hampshire. I have been looking at the role putter loft plays in putting. Is there anyone familiar with the type of grass breeds most common in NH that would know how the types of greens here compare with elsewhere? Are they Bermuda or is it different from course to course? Thanks for the help

Driver: 4DX T 10.5 Evolver w/ Redboard
Hybrids: G5: 16*, 19*, 22*
Irons: Ping Eye 2 +no+ (5-PW)
Wedges: CG12: 52/10, 56/14, 60/10
Putter: C&L flowneckBall: Z-Star

I can't say for sure but it is unlikely that bermuda is very common in New Hampshire. Most likely, the greens are bent, the type of grass that is typical in the north. Bermuda is a warm climate grass that is used in the south where bent grass suffers in the hot summer temperatures. Not sure how any of this relates to putter loft.

I can't say for sure but it is unlikely that bermuda is very common in New Hampshire. Most likely, the greens are bent, the type of grass that is typical in the north. Bermuda is a warm climate grass that is used in the south where bent grass suffers in the hot summer temperatures. Not sure how any of this relates to putter loft.

Bermuda......the price we pay for getting to play year-round.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is no chance that you'll find Bermuda grass greens in NH. Northern greens are bent grass, annual bluegrass (Poa annua) or a combination of both.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that it was reading about "the shaggy (Bermuda?) greens" that made me question using a putter with what would seem like less than the traditional amount of loft. Someone had said that their Rife putter worked well on fast greens, but not shaggy, slow greens. There is some interesting thoughts about putter loft here:

http://thesandtrap.com/bag_drop/putt..._its_important I like my new Rife, but right now it is just from the carpet. The face-balanced Barbados on the course last year didn't seem to have any problem with the type of grass up here, which is most likely Bent. I had, maybe the misconception, that the climate here in NH would foster a more hearty grass that would translate to shaggy greens. Where in America would this be the actual case? Could it be that even though we have bent grass, the blend or way it it mowed could actually support smoother greens?

Driver: 4DX T 10.5 Evolver w/ Redboard
Hybrids: G5: 16*, 19*, 22*
Irons: Ping Eye 2 +no+ (5-PW)
Wedges: CG12: 52/10, 56/14, 60/10
Putter: C&L flowneckBall: Z-Star

Bermuda......the price we pay for getting to play year-round.

Yup.....know what you mean.

The courses down here that are bent can be really nice and at times spectacular, however during the summer heat they are dismal. I really like the bermuda greens at my home course. They tend to run on the fast side and are a formidable challenge. One of the things I love the most about them is how true the ball tends to roll. Right now they are wintered up a bit and being left a bit longer (bumpy) but I wouldn't have traded them for any greens in the area this summer and fall.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!