IGNORED

No Backswing Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Donnie_Brasco

Golf Swings are like thumb prints, no 2 are a like.. some guys have absolute terrible swings, but it works for them.

I played college football and baseball and every sport has these type drills. Nothing new, but I'm sure there is some golfer that uses this method and scores better than all of us. The only thing that need to be consistent is where the face of the club is at impact, how it gets there is kinda irrelevant... If you strike the ball with a square face pointing at my target you're gonna have a decent to great golf shot..

I'm old, blown out knee, 3 herniated discs, right shoulder is now giving up on me. And I'm 61. I use a limited back swing with a full stop, much like a baseball stance, and do a small pump and swing at the ball. It works for me but I do it for accuracy not for distance since distance is out of my realm now due to physical restrictions. I can hit it if it's a good day straight down the fairway and @ 200 to 230 yards total distance. Not too many par fours are out of reach if I'm hitting the ball like I should. Then again, in this game, that is not a given. I really am looking to shoot a better than bogie round after 18.5 years not playing at all. Gave it up, got injured, kids, you know the drill. Anyway, after 8 months or less of playing again I'm close to doing that. Playing by the rules and shooting better than bogie golf was said by Lee Trevino to be equal to a pro shooting par golf in a tournament, and strictly by the rules. I hope to achieve that this coming year, 2013.

Originally Posted by Big_M

I read about it an issue or two ago... and I still think it is stupid. Maybe for "some" high handicappers who don't want to take the time, but for most golfers I would think it is oversimplistic and not advantageous. Certainly you will loose some power and it would be more difficult to work the ball. I just don't see any purpose for such a thing.

It's only stupid if it does not work. Less than 1 percent of posters make a living playing golf anyway.

Originally Posted by Sherlockian

So you are addressing the ball, then move the club to the 1/2 to 3/4 position, then "pump", and release into the downswing. Where is the no back-swing aspect, other than ignoring the initial takeoff/back?

That is basically correct. You take a normal grip, stance and back swing up to a point where the shaft is parallel to the ground and stop momentarily as if you were a baseball player. And as most baseball players do just before swinging, they take a short pump as they call it and then swing. What it's meant for is taking out the problems we high handicappers that play by the rules and count every stroke no matter what (no mulligans) that we create for ourselves. It works and you will gain accuracy, in the fairway every shot, and give up between 20 and 40 yards depending on how you hit now. Hitting a legit 260 to 280 yard drive into the rough, trees or next fairway is more embarrassing to me than hitting it short and always being in the fairway. But that's me, not everyone else. You gotta decide if your wayward drives to the right and left are worth it (assuming again that all strokes are counted and you play the ball where it lies, no exception, which most golfers just can't seem to do these days); or is being in the fairway all the time a better shot saver. Just a personal choice. I made mine. I use it.

Originally Posted by golftrainer

I've done that drill also, and it is very effective at putting you in the correct position at the top. It's funny how the golf media is jumping on this like they did the stack and tilt.

I'm thinking that it's for golfers that need some sort of control on their back swing, where most errors begin. Don't believe it's out there for everyone to jump on the band wagon. But it golf, I've never heard a pro, instructor, or worthwhile weekend golfer ever say, 'If it helps your game, don't do it." As I said before golf swings are like finger prints. No two are alike. You gotta find out what works for you and go for it. It's amazing to see others I have played with or on the tee or fairway in front of me play. I followed one group of 4 that I swear they each had 3 or more penalty strokes if they would have counted them for ball lie improvement, cleaning off a ball when it's not on the green, changing balls, losing a ball and just tossing another down claiming a squirrel took it. HC's are a myth. They are there for an ego trip IMHO. It's a game, none of us are touring pros and never will be for 99% of us. It's a game, enjoy it but play by the rules.

Originally Posted by 87vert

Im gonna try it out just for the heck off it. Maybe if it works then I can determine if some of my problems are from the backswing.

I can assure you most of the problems (assuming one has an acceptable grip and stance which should not be that difficult to acquire) are in ones back swing.

Originally Posted by Chas

Not bad for a type of practice but silly as your standard golf swing IMO. Yes, if there's "no backswing" you won't have any "backswing errors" - 100% of them will have disappeared. Bravo!

But so will a lot of your distance, and your rhythm, and your weight shift, and your ..... Your backswing helps to get you on plane for the forward swing, and of course is important for the coil.

The other problem is gonna be: how do you NOT get distracted when your playing partners, and casual onlookers, start snickering loudly as you stand there in your "no backswing" setup? Not to mention the loss of cred on the track.

Gotta lose the ego in golf. If someone is thinking about all that stuff instead of the task at hand, I would not be surprised at all to see a bad strike of the ball. Drop the ego.

Originally Posted by Donnie_Brasco

Golf Swings are like thumb prints, no 2 are a like.. some guys have absolute terrible swings, but it works for them.

I played college football and baseball and every sport has these type drills. Nothing new, but I'm sure there is some golfer that uses this method and scores better than all of us. The only thing that need to be consistent is where the face of the club is at impact, how it gets there is kinda irrelevant... If you strike the ball with a square face pointing at my target you're gonna have a decent to great golf shot..

Simple as that and hard to do and understand for most people. But you are correct. The only thing that actually matters is the club position at the point of contact.

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

Seems to me like a a sure way to develop the the charles barkley swing... yuck.

Only thing that counts is your score. What you look like scoring well is not seen by others. Your score is. So, drop the ego and enjoy the game I always say.

Originally Posted by zingari

I understand completely those who would rather have a nice looking if less effective swing, it took me a while before i got immune to the ribbing my mates were giving me, but let me tellyou, the ribbing soon stops when you are hitting quality shots consistently, especially when they have never seen this kind of consistency in your game before.

As I always say. The score card talks louder than those that attempt to make fun of you on the course when one does something 'abnormal' to others. Half way through a round of golf, they get quiet and start asking questions.

Originally Posted by tm22721

I don't care why it works, it just does. It feels as if I can maintain lag pressure in the downswing after pumping the club at the top. Somebody please explain.

And isn't that all that matters? It works for YOU.

Originally Posted by scottg

I don't know that this would work. Like many of you, I have used it and seen it used as a contact drill but never as a way to play 18 holes. Just seems like so much distance would be lost to me. And the Stack? That's the same swing theory that Watson has used his whole career. Keep a constant shoulder to spine angle aspect intact and have your rhythym consistent. I am no swing guru and I don't like to think of things like this that might affect my swing. LOL!

To put it simply; it takes away all the misalignment's and mistakes weekend golfers make since they are not Pros, and limits your input to a down swing and follow through. There is no magic here. You/I still have to hit the ball with a square club face. I for one don't lose a lot of distance when I remember the banana balls and hard pulls or roughs I have to hit out of when trying to knock the socks off a ball. Being in the fairway all day will save anyone strokes if they play by the rules.

I've had 2 different teachers show me this drill so I agree with those who say this is not a new idea.

My current teacher has a really great version of this drill . .you take the club back to around 3/4 . .just like in the video . .but then drop the clubhead to the ground.  Then pick it up to about 3/4 again and swing through.  I actually have played this swing on the course . .you think people will look at you funny for doing the no backswing swing?  Try picking the club off the ground to swing.  I never played more than a few shots per round this way, though .. only when the wheels are really coming off because it works so well on the range.  Can't say I've had as much success with it on the course, though.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I've had 2 different teachers show me this drill so I agree with those who say this is not a new idea.

My current teacher has a really great version of this drill . .you take the club back to around 3/4 . .just like in the video . .but then drop the clubhead to the ground.  Then pick it up to about 3/4 again and swing through.  I actually have played this swing on the course . .you think people will look at you funny for doing the no backswing swing?  Try picking the club off the ground to swing.  I never played more than a few shots per round this way, though .. only when the wheels are really coming off because it works so well on the range.  Can't say I've had as much success with it on the course, though.

If it works for you and you use it, you are a smart golfer. If it works for you and you don't use it, then the results are all on you. Keep it up. With time you will hone a great swing, for you, and you will be able to add to it if you see fit.

• Administrator

Doc, please don't ever post like that again. Please make use of multi-quote.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure why there's so much discord on this one.  The prevailing logic with this theory is that problems do occur between the the take-away/back-swing and the downswing.  All they're suggesting is to limit the take-away/back-swing from the equation.  You still have to "trigger" the downswing as you do with a baseball bat.  No big deal IMHO.  If it works, go for it.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit - 9.5* Stiff

Woods: TaylorMade R11S - 3W Stiff, TaylorMade R11 Ti - 5W Stiff

Irons: Callaway X-12 - 3-PW Uniflex

Wedges: TaylorMade Rocketballz 50* AW - Cleveland 588 RTG 56* SW

Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth 2

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!