IGNORED

Anyone tried the new Callaway X-tour wedges?

Note: This thread is 6581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried one of my buddies lob wedge on the practice range and for one round. I felt they played a lot like the pre CG wedges from Cleveland. The sole grind made it easy to set up for flops and chips. Feel was not nearly as soft as the CG wedges, maybe it was the shape but they looked kind of large to me as well, lots of spin, I played a couple of flops from greenside rough and they really checked up well. The grooves are so sharp that they marked up of the Pro VI balls I was playing. I usually play less expensive balls that are harder so that may make some of my judgements questionable.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have a 58° vintage model with the PM grind and MD grooves that's on backorder until mid-June. There's a shortage of heads, apparently, and while a few units have shipped out to retail, there aren't enough to fill orders. D'oh!

I hit a 56° chrome X-Tour wedge at the PGA Show in January and it was very similar to past Callaway forged wedges. The shape was a little less round and bit more like Roger Cleveland's older designs, which I liked. I believe Callaway made a production change with the chrome models: past forged wedges in the line have had a thin layer of copper between the carbon steel and the chrome, but I was told that's not the case with the X-Tours. Might make them play a little firmer, but most of us probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The vintage finish versions never had this copper underlayer, and still doesn't.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just picked up a pair of the new vintage x-tour wedges (54 and 58). The 58 degree model has the PM grind and the MD grooves. I haven't had a chance to use them on the course yet, so I will post an update after I get a few rounds under my belt. They sure are pretty though...

Note: This thread is 6581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!