IGNORED

Handicap...

MSB256
Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm trying to get better but have never really kept tight scores and figured out my handicap. I'm to the point where I need a measuring stick.

Do I simply buy a program like scorecard and enter all the data from the actual course scorecard? And after what... 5 rounds I'll have a handicap?
Bag:
Driver: '09 Burner 9.5*
3 wood: SQ2
Hybrid 3: SQ2
Irons 4 - AW: r7SW: Vokey SM 56FW: 64Putter: fastbackBalls: NXT Tour

Or if you are decent at excel, you can keep it there.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

It is not difficult at all to keep it on your own. Excel makes it easier but I used to keep it just with a pen, paper and a calculator for years. Look up the formula on the USGA website. It shouldn't be difficult to find.

will do... thanks guys
Bag:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you can enter your score at Golf Galaxy or some free program on the internet. Since you want a legit handicap make sure that you are counting all your strokes, not taking mulligans, etc. If you don't have a legit handicap you will only be cheating yourself in tournaments and money games with your friends.

Yesterday, I just logged my 5th round since starting to use scorecard and I now truly know my handicap.

I kept honest track of my penalties, never roll the ball over, etc. and the program was very straight-forward. Granted, to have an "official" handicap you need to register with the USGA (I think) and turn your scorecards in. However, I just wanted to know my handicap for personal reasons.

The reason I like scorecard is because I get the handicap, plus lots of good info on how may game shapes up, and where I need improvement.

But, a calculator works fine too if you want to save the $30.
In the bag:
Driver: `09 Launcher (10.5º) w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff
3 Wood: `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff shaft
3 Hybrid (20.5º): `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff Shaft
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

Yesterday, I just logged my 5th round since starting to use scorecard and I now truly know my handicap.

scorecard is fantastic... and for $30, it's well worth it. Does all the ESC for you (which MUST be done for an accurate handicap), gives me an anti-handicap, and many other meaningful statistics.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'm pretty serious about golf now... notice I didn't say pretty good, haha, but I really enjoy the game so I want to get better at it. I don't think the $30 is really that bad for a program that I might get a lot of use out of.

And I'm very competitive so I'll keep close score. No mulligans or gimmees. Which brings me to this...

I get that the "handicap" is suppose to enable people of all levels to play together right? So say you shoot in the 70's and I shoot in the 90's and we play together. My handicap kind of "spots" me a few strokes here and there? Is that how it works?

So if I win by 4 strokes, I probably really lost? haha, seems like spotting you points in basketball. Why not just play even and work on your game?
Bag:

I get that the "handicap" is suppose to enable people of all levels to play together right? So say you shoot in the 70's and I shoot in the 90's and we play together. My handicap kind of "spots" me a few strokes here and there? Is that how it works?

Yes, that's exactly what handicaps were designed for... to level the playing field. The USGA handicap is based on your last 20 rounds, but only the 10 best scores are used, and of course ESC is used. This means handicap should reflect potential, not average scores. Also, your handicap is based on standard rating and slope... so if your index is 10.0 normally, then at course (A) with a high slope and rating your "course handicap" might be 11.5, but at course (B) the rating and slope might be low and your "course handicap" would then be a 9.2 or some such number. When you play against someone, each person will use course handicap to determine net score. If playing match play and you are 5 strokes lower handicap than your opponent, then you give him 5 strokes on the 5 most difficult holes, etc.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Yes, that's exactly what handicaps were designed for... to level the playing field. The USGA handicap is based on your last 20 rounds, but only the 10 best scores are used, and of course ESC is used. This means handicap should reflect potential, not average scores. Also, your handicap is based on standard rating and slope... so if your index is 10.0 normally, then at course (A) with a high slope and rating your "course handicap" might be 11.5, but at course (B) the rating and slope might be low and your "course handicap" would then be a 9.2 or some such number. When you play against someone, each person will use course handicap to determine net score. If playing match play and you are 5 strokes lower handicap than your opponent, then you give him 5 strokes on the 5 most difficult holes, etc.

I was going to say the same thing... It is an average of your best 10 scores out of your past 20 rounds.

I would like to add that you don't get 5 strokes on the 5 most difficult holes. The holes that are handicapped lower on any particular golf course aren't necessarily the hardest holes. They are the holes that have the biggest score discrepancy between a good golfer and a bad golfer. That is to say that if you are playing a hard hole that even the pros can't score well on, then it won't necessarily be the number 1 handicap hole. The number one handicap hole is based on which holes the better handicapped players score better on than the lesser players. It is kind of confusing, but I think that is the way it works.

http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/a/faq_handicap.htm
that's all you need to know...
you can also just go to USGA.Com

and if I actually like carrying an official HC b/c when I get my a** down to a 7 HC (hopefully this year or next), I qualify to play in the amateur tournament in NJ.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I have been using oob golf to track my "unofficial" handicap ... but just an hour ago I went to my, now, home course and registered for a GHIN number, which now makes me an official "big boy" with a "big boy" handicap!

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I would like to add that you don't get 5 strokes on the 5 most difficult holes. The holes that are handicapped lower on any particular golf course aren't necessarily the hardest holes. They are the holes that have the biggest score discrepancy between a good golfer and a bad golfer.

Now you are just splitting hairs...

but, from a technical standpoint, you are correct.

Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!