IGNORED

Masters Finalists - A Setback for Golf Fitness!

pittpanther
Note: This thread is 5490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Remember fitness doesn't mean being thin or muscled.

Although the finalists ddn't look 'traditionally fit', they probably were 'golf fit'.
Outside appeareances don't show their flexibility levels or strength levels. All 3 could have amazing range of motion, and strong cores and forearms etc. attributes that are more useful to golf than aerobic capacity.

As mentioned before, hammer throwers and marathon runners rarely look the same, but they are both fit for their own particular sports.

The problem goes on and on with people assuming one has to look trim with bulging muscles to be actually fit.

With regard to fitness, what is very helpful in golf is flexibility and strength. Neither requires a person to be ripped and trim like Woods or CH3. It does not hurt to look like that, but it is not required in golf fitness.

I had a sister who was always over weight and never did anything athletic, but she was stronger and more flexible than any of her three siblings. Cabrerra is built like my uncle Joe and he could carry a refigerator on his back.

And one thing that has always impressed me is how much more trim and fit these guys on the Tour look in person. The camera tends to had 10-12 pounds to a person. That's why most of the actors you see in person always seem much smaller and thinner than you think they are. Anyone who says these guys are not in good shape just does not know what they are talking about.

SubPar

They might not look like beefcake models but they have to be in reasonable shape just to walk the courses they play four or five times per week for most of the year. What's a tour course measure, 7500 yards or more? They are walking over four miles during a round and that's just tee to green mileage, not including the ancillary distances between holes and just normal daily life mileage. That distance is not much for a young guy but for a 40+ something it's a hike. And contrast that with your everyday lard butt who gets his bloomers in a wad when it's cart path only or when they can't get that parking spot right next to the clubhouse door. They're waddling around making wheezing noises and complaining about slow players ahead of them. I myself would love to have Angel's endurance.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers 1897-1935

They might not look like beefcake models but they have to be in reasonable shape just to walk the courses they play four or five times per week for most of the year. What's a tour course measure, 7500 yards or more? They are walking over four miles during a round and that's just tee to green mileage, not including the ancillary distances between holes and just normal daily life mileage. ...

I once put bike odometer on my cart to get some idea of what distances I was walking every weekend. A 6700-6800 yard course usually came in around 5.25-5.5 miles. Add a few hundred yards and some hills to that and it is not so easy. Walking 72 holes over four days is a pretty good workout. I often play 54 holes on a weekend and, even if the courses are fairly flat, I feel it Monday morning.

SubPar

"Golf Fitness" is an anachronism. Specific benefits? To be sure. Improved endurance? Yeah. Necessary? Not if you don't plan on playing past 55.

Note: This thread is 5490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!