IGNORED

how to scrambles

jerry g
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i have a lot of trouble playing to my usual standards in scrambles. i don't play them often so that may have something to do with it, but i do have to play at least 2 more this summer. does anyone have any tips for playing scrambles well? any tips for staying mentally into a round with distractions of your playing partners not being competitive, or playing with strangers that are talking in your ear all day and stuff?

was that a real dog?

1) Drink a lot of beer.

2) Team up with people you know.

3) Team up with people you know are good.

Scramble is a really fun format. If you're the best perhaps (which at an 8 hcp is very likely) let all hit before you. It keeps the pressure off the weaker players (both because they don't have to try to better your best & won't get nervous if you, the best in the group, muff one) which means they'll make better shots which means they'll be more confident which means they'll hit better shots...It really takes pressure off of you once your partners get into the groove, and gets them involved in the game. And there's always the beer cart. After all, I'd say that almost every scramble tourney I've seen has really been more for fun and free stuff than anything super competitive.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I agree with all of the above, except that I like to see the best ball in the group ahead of me in the fairway before i tee off. I tend to be long off the tee box, longer then most of the better handicaps, but I get wild. Having pressure to hit one straight because I do not know if there is a better one in the group disrupts me mentally. Beer is key. Especially if you can buy throws!

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

I'm not a scramble expert, I've won more tournaments in individual medal play, but here's a couple tips I use as the "A" player.

If your the "A" player on your team then that means you are the leader and your team will look to you for leadership.

Everyone on the team needs to pay attention to every shot, especially shots around the green. I've been on teams where my teamates rushed thier chips then said "OK hit a great chip to save us". Before every chip or putt talk it over with your teamates about how your going to play the shot and after each player hits re-evaluate and adjust your strategy if needed.

Scoring comes down to putting. Most teams putt based on handicap. The higher handicappers usually putt first and the lowest last. I usually start out this way but after a few holes if a higher handicap player is really rolling the ball well that day I'll let them putt last so they can see the break after others putt. In other words don't be afraid to switch up the batting order during the round.

Finally, for the "A" player, do everything you can to keep the pressure off your teamates. Higher handicappers usually do not perform well under pressure so don't get frustrated with them when they make a mistake.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I am ambivalent about scrambles... for a good cause, I'll play, but invariably you try a few hero shots when just hitting normally would be better. When you win a trophy in a scramble, what does it really mean? Maybe the closest to hole on the par three is a nice thing.

I usually hit last but there are issues doing that. If there is a long good shot in play, then the temptation is to bomb one and that can lead to swing problems. I actually like hitting first. Also, if it is a course I know well, I don't like putting last because not everyone putts the same way and if someone pulls or pushes a putt, I start seeing some strange breaks that may or may not be there. I'm not sure letting your worst putter hit first is a good idea. You need someone who rolls the ball well to putt first. That actually helps weaker putters (I think) because they have more confidence about the line.

RC

thanks for the responses. i think your advice is gonna help. i have been trying to over-swing the driver looking for the extra yardage, instead of just playing. enough of that, no more. trying to kill the ball is definitely a good way to hit some bad drives.

was that a real dog?

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!