IGNORED

How the heck can I choose which GPS rangefinder?

Note: This thread is 5452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It is very accurate. Always seems within a yard of the marked sprinkler heads which were recently lasered at my home course. I already have the internet/data package on my T-mobile blackberry so the marginal cost for me is only $35/year.

A word of warning about the "apps" or other GPS devices made for iPhones/Blackberrys... I bought one for $35, but you still have to have 3G connection everywhere on the course with your phone for it to work properly. I have found only one course since buying it last year (out of roughly 10-12 I've played) that maintains a stong enough connection over the entire course. Most of the courses out here aren't in the center of town and have sketchy cell phone service.

A waste of money for the cell phone version IMO... I'm going to go with the real thing one of these days.

Regarding iPhone applications. I have all the iPhone applications specifically regarding Golf apps for the iPhone. I run one of the iPhone websites and perform reviews of all these applications.

One thing I can tell you is that they do perform very well, however, at the expense of your battery for your iPhone. In addition, acquisition of the GPS signal when it goes into sleep mode can take longer in comparison to actual GPS devices (i.e. SkyCaddie, uPro, etc.). For several months, I did use my iPhone to "take over" my GPS devices, rangefinders and although some applications did well, in all practicality, battery wise caused issues. I had to charge my phone by the time I was done with 18 holes.

Right now, although these applications for the iPhone works well, it is very clunky, in comparison, to actual GPS golf devices.

In my opinion, it saves a lot of money if that is the route you want to take but I would suggest to leave the iPhone to handle scores (i.e. Scorecard). Even this application does GPS...that is if the course is mapped already. Otherwise you have to either do it yourself or try to request it to get it mapped. Either way, my iPhone keeps track of my scores (essentially any golf course I'm one) and statistics, which even intergrates with oobGolf.com.

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

Note: This thread is 5452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!