IGNORED

How the heck can I choose which GPS rangefinder?

Note: This thread is 5452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gee whiz, there are so many!

So far, I have decided I don't want a laser; I had one and it worked well but GPS seems better for shots other than the flag.

As for what I gotta have, I gotta have one where you can move the target and it tells you how far... like you can move the pin from the middle to wherever you think it is. Also, I want it to show how far to a target and how far from there to green. I also like the ones that show the distance without you punching a button, it's continually updating as you move.

Cost is not much of an issue. I don't want to get royally ripped off but I do consider this an essential device and I'd like to buy one I will be pleased with.

There are so many!

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

Callaway U Pro. It actually has a fly over of each hole.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

I love my Golf Logix unit. Made by Garmin, tough, waterproof, just great. Link below to Amazon where the unit is currently $238. Read over the 280+ four star reviews there. Also check out the below link for more info. Super easy to use unit. I got the case ($19.99) and clip the unit to my bag. I get out to get a club, look at the gps, go about my business. It is just that simple.

Lots of info here...

http://golfgps.com/

But buy it here....

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-8-G...3834943&sr;=8-1

Ive just bought a skycaddie sg 2.5 because it was on offer and compared to all the others i considered it was best by miles!! If you can afford the colour sg5 id recommend that!! Love the inteli-green feature on it too!!

hope it helps!

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

I have a UPro and previously had a skycaddie sg4. IMO the UPro beats them all. Upro has a $100 rebate starting today. They're updating their site right now so maybe ... just maybe the voice recognition software will be out soon. Check out all the details here.

http://www.uprogps.com/design/?gclid...FQhJagodeQtnTA

In my BagBoy Griplok bag
Driver: Diablo 9 degree stiff graphite
3 Wood: Diablo 15 degree stiff graphite
Hybrid: Hb5 3 stiff graphite
Irons: FG Tour V2 stiff steel  S W: Harmonized 55 degree

Putter: Odyssey Teron

Ball: E6

GPS: UPro

Bought the uPro last week & played a couple of rounds with it since. Quick & easy to use, worked great. One of the others in our group had the sg4 & we both liked the features of the uPro more. Seemed a little more accurate too for the course we played on.

Just noticed the $100.00 rebate for purchases during the month of June

Guess I was a couple days too early, think I'll give customer service a call

I ordered a Bushnell (formerly iGolf) Neo since many here have such nice things to say about them. There seemed to be too many complaints about the quality of the Skycaddie devices and their customer service. I also didn't like their membership plans. I liked the user mapping feature of the Neo which will allow me to map the practice hole at my course. I think that will make my practice time for the short game much better.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do like my SG5 a lot, but the UPro really seems to be great. I did not had the choice that you have, because only Sky Caddie (for the moment) has the courses i'm playing.

The SG5 allows you to move the flag, has target distances, and the Intelligreen is great. As for customer service... did not use it..so fingers crossed.

I don't have a range finder or a laser. I play the same course almost every round, so I don't need one 'at home'. If I play a new or unfamiliar course I will get on Google Earth and spend hours measuring distances from tee boxes to various spots and from greens to various spots - Basically customizing my own, personal-preference-built-for-my-game yardage book. Something like this . . .

Hole one at Colbert Hills

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

If I play a new or unfamiliar course I will get on Google Earth and

You, my friend, are a sick, sick man......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have seen all the GPS and I beleive they all work the same. I bought the Golf Buddy Pro. All I had to do was charge it and then go to the course and it auto where I was on the first tee. You do need to install the software on your Mac or PC and the update the course you plany that may not be on the unit you buy.

I'm dead keen to follow this thread as I too could not come to a final decision on this one.
I did have the original Sky Caddie, which packed up last year. I haven't gone to replace this as yet, for two reasons...
1. There are many more brands of device available
2. The Sky Caddie reliability reviews seem very conflicting. In fact this seems to be the case with most of the devices. So some reliability comments would be most welcome by me.

For now I'm getting by with my Bushnell Yardage Pro. But I am missing the help of the Front, Center & Back of green distances.

Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

Don't waste your money. If you have a blackberry or an iphone, download greenfinder for $35. I have been using it for a month and it is excellent. One warning, Verizon does not support it.

Don't waste your money. If you have a blackberry or an iphone, download greenfinder for $35. I have been using it for a month and it is excellent. One warning, Verizon does not support it.

Yes but I would need to add the cost of either an iPhone or a Blackberry, as well as, the associated monthly costs and two year commitment, wouldn't I.

I'm not sure that this is the cheapest option, although I stand to be corrected. Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

I don't have a range finder or a laser. I play the same course almost every round, so I don't need one 'at home'. If I play a new or unfamiliar course I will get on Google Earth and spend hours measuring distances from tee boxes to various spots and from greens to various spots - Basically customizing my own, personal-preference-built-for-my-game yardage book. Something like this . . .

No offense but that's too much work.

As far as the OP's question...Simply uPRO!

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

I personally got the golflogix. The reasons I decided on the golflogix were:

1 Simplicity, I am not technically challenged at all but I wanted a unit that would give me the yardage I needed (to hazard/dogleg, over hazard, front middle back) without me having to do anything. One of the reasons I enjoy golf is I get to turn off my phone and enjoy being outside, I don't need to be pressing buttons and constantly looking at a screen.

2 Durability, garmin claims that the golflogix can be submerged in 3 feet of water so I will not worry if I am playing in the rain. Garmin also claims the device is shock resistant so If someone tosses their clubs on top of mine in the back of the truck I won't worry too much about the condition of my gps. I tested this out this weekend I had the gps clipped on the side of my bag and as I went through a doorway I hit my golflogix and I shattered the detachable belt clip but my gps was fine.

As with anything in golf choice of gps is mostly personal preference. The golflogix doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but it seems well made. I haven't had any problems in 6 months and the unit works well for me. Although looking at the new G5 from garmin http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RU0F0M/...l_851m60kfct_b I almost wish I had waited

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Durability, garmin claims that the golflogix can be submerged in 3 feet of water so I will not worry if I am playing in the rain.

One of my main reasons as well. I float remote arctic rivers in NW Alaska each fall. 10-14 days at a time over 50+ miles of river. I use the Garmin e-trex gps units which is the same housing of the Golf Logix. They are indeed 100% waterproof and very durable. Great units. And like you said, simple. This Golf Logix unit is childproof, yet gives me all the info I could possibly need. Perfect gps in my opinion.

$35/year for membership on Greenfinder.com and then the added internet fee along with GPS fee adds up. How accurate is your Greenfinder vs Golf GPS vs laser?

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 5452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!