IGNORED

putts per GIR

goblue107501
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This might be a stupid question but...

When you hit a par 5 in 2 and get a 2 putt birdie, is this considered a GIR and 2 putts with 2 putts for the GIR? I know it probably is, but started thinking about the putts/GIR stat and it would kind of make sense that it could be considered 1 putt for the GIR so I started wondering. If you hit a par 5 in two, it can really knock down the putts/GIR average.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

GIR - is green in regulation. Which accounts for two putts. For a par 3 you have to get on the green off the tee, par 4 - tee and another shot to green, par 5 -tee and 2 shots to green. Now if on a par 5 you 2 hit onto the green it is still a GIR since it gives you the 2 putts

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

What exactly is "putts per GIR"?

Yes. For me it is a good indication whether or not I am making birdie putts. It can be a little better gauge as to how you are putting than to look at total putts. You could have 36 total putts and be even, or you could have 18 total putts and be even. With the putts/GIR, 2 is the benchmark and anything over would indicate that I didn't putt well that day.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Not sure I am following the logic. Anyway...I keep track of GIRs and number of putts per hole. That way I can see if I am hitting my irons/drives well (GIRs) and how I'm putting.
A GIR is getting on the green with AT LEAST 2 putts available to make par. If you get on a par 5 in two, it is still a GIR. I don't think there is actually a stat normally kept for putts per GIR. IF you two putt, you two putt. You don't get to take one away because you hit the green in two.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

The putts-per-GIR stat is useful for those who tend to get up-and-down a lot for par, or 'chip' in from the fringe (often with a putter). This 1-putting or 0-putting for par will cause your putts-per-hole to be skewed and makes it look like you're a great putter, when actually you're a quality chipper. It also how many birdie chances you had.

I'm not a great putter (or great chipper or anything else for that matter), but my stats often read 1.8 - 1.9 putts per hole. I don't keep track of putts-per-GIR yet, considering I need to get more GIR's first! As my GIR's go up, I'll be more interested in putts-per-GIR.

the stat that everybody should focus on is putts per round and your up and down to save par or make birdies.

If you focus on this aspect of your game and improving this stat your scores will lower.

You can miss a green and still save par with a up an down and have fewer putts because you just one putted that green to save par.

30 putts per round or better
50% or better for up and down stats.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Doesn't it depend on where you're losing strokes though? I'm consistently in the 90's, and I often end up wasting strokes hitting out of the rough. I'm concentrating on hitting fairways right now, and my scores have been getting better. Up and down for par is great, but on a bad hole I could be hitting 4 or 5 onto the green (penalties, lost ball, not getting the ball out of the rough - I have a ton of reasons!). I can worry about getting up and down for par on maybe half of the holes. The rest of the time, I'm hoping to pull out a bogie!

So my thought is that better players (such as yourself) can worry about GIR and getting up and down for par but bad players (such as myself) need to worry about getting to the green in a reasonable number of strokes first. Am I off base here?

This might be a stupid question but...

GIR is considered in regulation, and below.

A par 5 in 2 with a one putt eagle would be a 1 putt per GIR, and a 2 putt birdie with 2 putts per GIR
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Doesn't it depend on where you're losing strokes though? I'm consistently in the 90's, and I often end up wasting strokes hitting out of the rough. I'm concentrating on hitting fairways right now, and my scores have been getting better. Up and down for par is great, but on a bad hole I could be hitting 4 or 5 onto the green (penalties, lost ball, not getting the ball out of the rough - I have a ton of reasons!). I can worry about getting up and down for par on maybe half of the holes. The rest of the time, I'm hoping to pull out a bogie!

yes, but if you keep your stats:

fairways hit greens in regulations up and down putts per round 3 putts where do you need the most help, usually its the up and down and putts 90 - 95% of the time.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!