IGNORED

Would I benifit from new irons?

xringx
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quick into: Started playing again this year after not playing for about 20....I am 38. I played from age 8 off and on till 18 or 19, and just went to the driving range a few times a year after that and then stopped

I have about 15 rounds in so far this year.

I am not much of a score keeper, I tend to hit a couple of balls from the same spot to see if I can do better... When I dont do that and keep track, I shot in the 90's, sometimes high 80's if you dont count that drive that went 250yds to the right....

Picked up used clubs, Titleist DCI 962's with new s300 shafts for $100...A coworker informed me that Titleist were hard to hit...and I have been having some trouble..

Most of the trouble has been hitting thin...almost never a divot to nailing the ball right in the middle... I had been creeping my grip back, to the point I tore a hole in my glove from the butt end of the club being in my palm...

I took 1 club to Golf Galaxy, they measured it and said it was spot on for length per the Titleist website. They guy that measured it suggested choking up on the club...

I did that today, played 9holes and shot a legit 44 except 1 lost drive and 1 iron shank in the water (that still make it legit?)....choking up seemed to help alot, but I can be so spotty on my play....

Stick with the irons or look at buying some new ones?

and if new ones, suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions and comments...

Whats in my Ozone stand bag

Driver: SQ Sumo² Square 10.5°
3 wood : SQ Sumo² 15°
Irons : AP2 3-PWWedge: RAC 52°Wedge: Vokey Oil Can 58°Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo

The clubs may be the right "manufacturer" length but that doesn't mean they are the right length for you. If you are looking at a lifetime of golf and willing to make the investment I would suggest going to a decent golf shop (I favor small mom and pop places with a good pro) and hitting several clubs with the pro. See which ones feel right to you, don't worry about the name on the club. Have the new clubs fitted. At a minimum see about getting your current clubs fitted to you.
I, for instance, am about 5'11 - 6'. Most clubs (off the rack) are designed for a player 5'10, but this assumes a stance/swing that is the same for everyone. When I got my clubs fitted the pro said I played like I was 6'2 (stood tall), but my swing was solid and consistent. Fit the clubs for me and I immediately noticed way less topped and thinned balls.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I would keep the clubs and work on your game by taking lessons or practicing so that you make solid contact and not thin shots.

1) recommend practicing with your wedges so that you can hit shot under 100 yards and even 50 yards and in.

clubs are only 10% of the game and will not make that much a difference if you bought a new set of clubs.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Most of the trouble has been hitting thin...almost never a divot to nailing the ball right in the middle... I had been creeping my grip back, to the point I tore a hole in my glove from the butt end of the club being in my palm...

No club at any price will help you if you hit it thin.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I reiterate that a fitting will make a difference. Just to make the point, let's talk in the extreme...Imagine you were playing with a set of kid's clubs, you know, those 1 1/2 foot long deals that come in a set of 3 or 4. Think you would be affected?

I'm not saying fitting will solve all the problem, but to the OP...the question was will new irons help. I am saying not so much new irons as properly fitted ones.

Slim 11
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Fitted clubs from a PGA PRO would be the way to go. he can examen your swing and thus fit you with the correct set of clubs. They will not be the most expense!!!

Thanks for the replies......

I have had a interesting turn of events today.... I was talking to the wife (she plays too now) and how I thought I would want new irons a few days ago...

Turns out she went ahead today and won an auction for new clubs... Titleist AP2....

see here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370208592570

At first I was pretty darn upset... In fact I was downright pissed but didnt tell her... I wanted to select my clubs, hit them etc... Plus I was kinda saving that money for something else she didnt know about....

After reading some reviews, they appear to be solid.. Maybe I should have the AP1's.....

but I am still mad...Plus I kinda think she paid a bit much...maybe by $50....

The serial number checks out. She called Titleist...

I love her, but damn she took away a lot of fun (and maybe frustration) in not letting me shop for my own damn clubs........

DCI 962's are definitely not super-difficult irons to hit.

Unless you have a very aggressive swing with lots of lag and REALLY load the shaft (ala' Sergio), the most important element of fitting in irons is the right length/lie relationship. Irons will be difficult to hit if the toe is way too low (lie too flat) at impact or way to high (lie too upright) at impact. Absolute length might be a very important factor if you are exceptionally short or exceptionally tall.

Many club fitting shops can do a lie board test and see how things look (and make adjustments if required). And this won't cost much money. Once you get this squared away with your irons I would look elsewhere (like lessons or just more practice) for improvement. Down the road new/fitted irons might well be warranted. And there are a number of other fitting parameters that do have an effect.

HOWEVER, if you are very short (and/or have extremely long arms) or very tall (and/or have extremely short arms) the absolute length of your irons might be very important. And if you really load the shaft to a BIG degree then shaft choice might be very important.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Thanks for the replies......

The AP1s are probably a little more forgiving for a newer player, but I don't think you will see a lot of difference between them and the AP2s.

It does kind of take the fun out of the whole club selection process, but it was nice of her (and she can't give you grief for how much you spent on clubs). You will still want to go to a pro to fit those clubs.

Slim 11

You will still want to go to a pro to fit those clubs.

I do want them fitted...I was trying a google search, but no luck... Should I take them to a local pro? golf galaxy?

Thanks...

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!