IGNORED

Swing Speed and Shaft, All imput appreciated..

Donnie_Brasco
Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Left Roger Dunn y'day with a 110 mph Swing on the driver.. This was literally taking about 10 swings with the last 5 being recorded at 107, 110, 110,110, 112.

Currently I am swinging a Stiff Flex Driver, uniflex steel irons, 2 of my hybrds are regular and 2 are stiff.

The pro said I definitely need to get my driver re shafted to a x stifff shaft..

But my question is this, should I re shaft all my clubs to x stiff shafts?

I know the salesman is gonna say yes, but I was curious to what people who gain nothing by way of commission might say..

Reshafter was out till tomorrow, going in at 10, to either get a driver or quite possibly several clubs reshafted..

Thanks in advance..

Left Roger Dunn y'day with a 110 mph Swing on the driver.. This was literally taking about 10 swings with the last 5 being recorded at 107, 110, 110,110, 112.

The short answer is that it depends.

I was just fitted for a new driver with Trackman technology and my swing speed was an average of 112 and I ended up getting a stiff Matrix Ozik XCON6. All of my irons are S300's and I don't think I'd like to move x-stiff in those as I like my trajectory and everything with my irons. It all depends on how much you load the shaft in your swing, etc. There's not really a right or wrong answer as everyone's swing is different. Best thing you can do is just go to a demo day and try out stiff and x-still shafts in irons and see what you like the best. Just don't fall into the "my swing speed is X, so I need..." philosophy.

Thanks for the great advice..

The only reason it was brought up was this..

I recently played a round with a nationwide player, he is a friend of a friend, blah blah blah..

Anyways I was hitting some great sounding shots, that were just spraying left and right, neither being consistent, literally back and fourth the fairway. You could tell by the ball imprint left on the driver that I wasn't missing the ball, and he said that with my size and they way I swing I should get checked out and maybe look to increasing my shaft stiffness. Becasue the flex could be the reason the ball is spraying..

I am going to change out my driver shaft regardless tomorrow. And probably the 2 hybrids that I have that are regular shaft as well..

But anymore points that you great guys can continue to point out will be great info for me to go in there with tomorrow..

Thanks a bunch..

I have an X stiffness in my driver, but only s300 in my irons. I know I can swing hard enough to put x stiff in my irons, but I don't want to have to hit them that hard. A friend got fitted and put what was recommended in his irons.... KBS that were tipped to about 7.5 on the rifle scale. He hit them ok when he hit it all out, but there was no in between shots. He had to kill every shot to control it. Now is is going down to a 6.5 just to be able to swing easier.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Thanks for the great advice..

Definitely right about that. It could be the shaft for sure. If he's on the Nationwide Tour, I'd probably listen to whatever he says as he would likely hand anyone on this board their lunch. ;)

I like stiff shafts in my irons but I also don't swing my irons anywhere near the same as I do my driver. My swing is more of a smooth Ernie Else type swing anyway, so I think an x flex would be too much for me. If you're spraying it though, that's definitely something to look at. If you move up to an x-flex and are still spraying it, time to lower the swing speed, fix the grip, etc. The other thing I would add about the driver is to remember that there is no one set standard for shaft stiffness. So just because you swing a stiff Graffalloy doesn't mean it will have the same specs as a stiff Fujikura (just randomly chose those as an example). That's why it's usually best when you get fitted to hit as many different shafts as possible and not just throw any old shaft in there just because it has an "x-stiff" sticker on the side of the shaft. You may get one x-stiff that is not nearly as stiff as another manufacturer's x-stiff. Good luck!

Deron,

thanks for the imput.. I see you're from Lexington.. I was born in Richmond KY, lived in Cincinnati for several years before to moving out to Los Angeles..

Yeah the guy new his stuff, we played at a pretty exclusive CC in Beverly Hills..

I hit my irons well so I am not terribly concerned with reshafting them now, but If I see a drastic difference I will be hard pressed not to make the switch..

I am contemplating buying a new Callaway driver and getting a new 3 wood with X Stiff shafts for 330 instead of spending 100 bucks on only a new shaft and possibly not working.. This route allows me 90 days to return the clubs if not happy..

You are one of the rare golfers who MIGHT actually see big differences with shaft changes. 110 mph SS is pretty fast. But there is a huge difference in how an Ernie Els type 110 mph swing loads the shaft vs. an Tommy Armour III type 110 mph swing.

I would not change shafts unless one of the two is true

1) You don't like your your shaft feels to you on the downswing (feels 'loose' or maybe out of control'

2) You are hitting the ball higher and maybe consistently left vs. your aim/preference

A real answer will require that you swing some XS vs. X shafts and see how it feels to you and how they perform.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Man you guys are playing with S300's with 100+ SS. I guess I should move down to a R300 with my sub 90 SS.

Like I said though, my swing isn't really quick or jerky so an x flex is too much for me.

Here's my swing with a driver and a seven iron. You can see the difference and that I don't nearly swing as fast with the iron. As long as I can control the distance with the iron, that's all I'm really worried about. You probably would hit the ball a little further and a little higher with regular flex shafts in your irons.
Deron,

Yep, moved to Lexington after I graduated from college. I actually grew up in Ohio though, about 45 minutes from Cincinnati. We play in Richmond all the time at Gibson Bay. Nice course and the most affordable one around here.

I don't know if you're still contemplating on a driver or just contemplating on a Callaway driver, but I'd definitely recommend the Titleist 909D2 or D3. I just got the D3 (in the video above) and I love it.

Note: This thread is 5460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!