IGNORED

First tournament since 1996!

saltman
Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just filled out my entry form for the 105th Chicago City Amateur to be held in 1 month. Although, I don't think this is a huge tournament, from what limited information I could find it seems to draw a pretty strong field.

Its a bit of an overwhelming feeling, I feel SO far removed from tournament golf, yet I still remember my last competitive tournament almost shot by shot. I was 19 years old. I shot 73-77-78, to finish 5th overall and was angry as I had just come off a stretch of 6 straight sub 70 rounds prior to that event. Needless to say, that game is currently in hibernation, but the lure of a competitive event is very enticing.

For you hardened tournament players, what do I need to remember? This may sound ridiculous, but I don't remember anything about tournament golf. I don't recall how early I started my warm-up, common protocol for keeping score I assume I will keep an opponents official card, am I allowed to keep my own score on the same card? I am going to have to read through the rule book again, while I remember the common penalty strokes, things get a bit murky in terms of properly taking drops and other details that I just haven't needed to recall for years. What else?

LOL...I am nervous as hell, yet have very marginal expectations. I just want to compete in a round that matters for something but I don't want to be a burden to my opponents. Any quick advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

although i cant help you w most of your questions
I feel your "pain" and nervousness
last year i played my 1st tourney since ...well about 97 actually......

it was match play at my old home course
i didnt play there since back in the day yet still knew it inside and out
i did a practice round the day before, in the rain and 20km/hr wind...shot a 76

next day was qualifying then they put you in flights
i qualified at 90.....YES 90!!!!!!!\
i dont think i shot a round like that since i first started when i was 10 yrs old!!!!!
just goes to show what tournament play can do to your mind

needles to say, everyone thought i sandbagged that day, as the next 4 matches i won after only 11 holes....one was 10!

i miss it....as i got comfortable again i got better
but i just dont play enough anymore to get back down to the 2-3 hndcp i used to be
it sure frusterates me to shoot in the 80's, high 70's...should be better

anyways, sorry for the long story and i didnt mean to make things worse

good luck and hope you shoot well!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I am not entirely sure if I will play better or worse. Part of me thinks I need some pressure to sharpen my concentration and really think about managing a course. The other part of me thinks I am going to wiff on the first tee.

I took a few rule quizzes over lunch and failed miserably, but its unlikely I will run into a situation that will require a complicated ruling. I just need to get that out of my head.

Golf is probably the only sport I have played where I can't use the adrenaline to my advantage.

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!