IGNORED

New golfer, questions about 1st set of clubs

Note: This thread is 6527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello to everybody, this is my first post. My wife and I are new to golf. We've both played a few rounds years ago, enjoyed it but never went any farther than that. We're both 38 and in decent shape. We are going to take some lessons in September. Neither one of us own any clubs and I have some questions. At first I was going to get both of us complete knock-off sets. I figured that would be fine for us to start with. Relatively inexpensive and we could always upgrade later. Well after reading some of the posts here I realize that may not be the best way to go. So could you make some recommendatoins please?

1. Complete set or not? I was also thinking about a set of hybrid irons with maybe a 3 wood to get us started.
2. What about fitting? Is it vital for us at this stage? Is a fitting different for a beginner vs. experienced? If so how would our fitting requirements change as our game improves?
3. Any tips on brands to look for or stay away from? Any other advice would be great.

Oh yeah, our budget is extremely limited. I'd say max $300 each.
Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry, 3 wood is good, but you will notice that you and your wife will be playing in alot of executive 9 hole courses as begginers. But I bought it at first as well. Culb fitting is fine even for begginers. especially when it depends on the height for the both of you. If your budget is limited, you may have to plan on raising it. But I am not familiar with the hybrid market at all. I do know that clubs that integrate hybrid with a set of clubs can be expensive. But golf is expensive.
If you do get knockoffs, I am hoping that your height is below 6' but taller than 5'6". That is the standard lie angle for men. Consult with a shop with the women set, and confirm everything with them too.
But you could trust your club pro about that too!

You should look into buying a half set. 1,3,5 Woods 3,5,7,9,P Irons

And if you buy at your pro shop you can probably get a free fitting

In my bag:
Wilson 380cc Power Sole Driver 10.5, clone 460cc 10.5
Henry-Griffits Iron set
Clone 3 Hybrid *19
Clone putterNike Mojo Balls

Note: This thread is 6527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!