IGNORED

TaylorMade TP Red LDP ball vs all others

Note: This thread is 5419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a sleeve of the new Taylormade TP red LDP balls out of curiosity and wasn't overly impressed. I've played quite a few rounds this year and the majority of my rounds have been with either a prov1/prov1x or a srixon z-urs/z-urc and I like those balls far more then the taylormades. The tp red flew just as far as the prov1/z-urs but didn't spin as much off the short irons or check up as much on pitch shots and didn't feel as buttery off the putter. I felt after 2 full rounds that the taylormade ball performed just slightly better then the top flite gamer, but not nearly as well as other premium balls. Anyone else ever try these out and have any opinions on the ball? Good or bad?

I've only played the TP black but I quite like them and would say they are comparable to any other premium ball.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

why does everyone need pro v1x or whatever else is out there i use recycled golf ballsnand still beat people using titlest or taylormade balls
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I found the TP Red LDP to be noticeably softer than the TP Black LDP, very similar to the 2007 ProV1 in terms of feel, providing excellent feedback as I prefer a softer ball. Having said that, I've been playing the TP Black and although it is firmer than the Red, it's got a bit more bite around the greens. They (both Black & Red) feel like substantial, heavier balls. The fact that tour pros trust them for their livelihood is a testament to their quality. However, I feel that with my level ball striking, I'm likely not getting the most performance out of the ball. The TP Black feels like it really like to be thwacked.

With regards to premium balls, I've also played the 2009 B330-S, the 2009 Tx4 Pro and the 2007 ProV1.

The Bridgestone is softer than the TP Black, but doesn't have quite the greenside spin as the Black. Many say it comparable to the 2007 ProV1, but I find it slightly firmer with less greenside spin. It is however, firmer than the red with more greenside spin.

The Tx4 Pro feels like a lighter ball, very clicky off the putter and wedges. Feels like it has a firm cover/mantle yet thin cover, but great greenside spin. I recall a few low driven wedges that checked up quite nicely. It is a unique ball in it's own way.

The 2007 ProV1 is my reference ball in terms of greenside performance. I loved the feel, the weight, the way it sounded off the putter. However, off the driver, I found it spun a bit too much. This is my experience. I have not tried any of the newer 2009 Titleist offerings. Perhaps someone here can elaborate.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

I like the TP Red a lot. (*please see sig -- I feel I'm being objective but who knows)

I used to play the Burner TP.... and it's top notch in every category except greenside spin for me. I finally ran through most of the supply and decided I've started playing well enough (ie rate of losing balls has severely decreased) to justify a premium ball. But mostly it's because I play a high spin reliant short game.

I realized it was time to change when I hit my normal pitch with a random Z-URC I happened to find. The thing stuck so fast it was like I hit into super glue.

So I went through my bag of tons of misc premium balls of different brands/lines etc (for sale now if anyone is interested!) took it to the green and tried to see which stayed put the best on short pitches. Then how they putted.

Basically, everything was compared against the pro v1 and v1x. I like those two... but they cost me too much and despite being awesome in the practice green... I've never played well with em during a round (in all aspects). Only the TP Red and Srixon z-urc/s came close. Ended up going with TaylorMade because of price and because I'm partial to TaylorMade (hence: mental bonus!).

But the ball is amazing on the course. It sticks very well on all my iron shots. I can actually back up wedges every now and then. I have changed a few swing things.... but the ball is getting lots of credit.... It comes off really hot off the driver though. I can't tell if its a good thing or bad thing.... but I'm ending up much further ahead than I should be IMO. (Also... it's Austin, TX.... not a lot of rain.)

First actual round (9 holes) I played seriously with it I scored my best since starting golf.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I found the TP Red LDP to be noticeably softer than the TP Black LDP, very similar to the 2007 ProV1 in terms of feel, providing excellent feedback as I prefer a softer ball. Having said that, I've been playing the TP Black and although it is firmer than the Red, it's got a bit more bite around the greens.

Exactly the way I would compare the two, however I have been playing the Red. On approaches to the green the Black tend to hop, skip and stop, where the Red will hop, skip and roll. IMHO, the Black are longer off the tee, but the Red are softer when putting.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 5419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!