IGNORED

Which hybrid should I get (#1, #2, #3, or #4)?

Note: This thread is 6485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I've been playing golf for a good portion of my life but just recently started taking it seriously. About a month ago I bought my first set of irons (Wilson Di5's 3-PW) and haven't bought any woods/drivers as of yet.

With TaylorMade and Callaway offering a free hybrid with a driver, I'm tempted to buy a driver (probably the Callaway X460 because of its value). My main question is...which hybrid number should I get? I already have a 3 iron which I use to tee off with right now and I can get about 200 yards with it (with a slight slice) so I don't think I want to get the #3 hybrid because it would basically a duplicate (same with the #4).

So what do you guys think I should do? I'm a very high handicaper at this point...shooting in the 100-115 range.

Oh and also- what loft should I get on the driver if I want to get great distance with decent loft (I don't want it to be low but I want to get about 250 yards off the drive to begin with).

Thanks in advance,
-N

nk4787,

Don't pay attention to what the number on the club says. I play a "3" hybrid that acutally replaces my 2 iron. Although a hybrid may have the same loft as an iron. It also has a lower, deeper center of gravity, a longer and lighter shaft. All those things add up to greater distance than an equivalent iron.

Look at your yardage gaps and then pick the hybrid that fits that without looking at numbers. A 3 hybrid (20 deggrees loft) will probaly suit you well, and go in the 215-225 range.

As far adrivers, spend the time to get fit. The store where you buy it from should take a look at you on a launch monitor as a starting point. It is likely they will put you in a driver that's in the 10.5 or even 11.5 range which will help the ball go higher and straighter.

Yeah, when I jumped on the hybrid bandwagon a few years ago, I got the Taylor Made Mid Rescue 19*, which they said would replace my 3-iron.

It's got a little more horsepower than my 3-iron, as I'm good for about 235 off the tee with it, about 220 from the fairway. It's only a shade shorter than my five wood (which is 17 degrees). I've still got it in my bag, but actually I'm thinking about trunking it since I find I'm rarely using it out there. I hit my five wood (230-240) or 4-iron (200-210) more often than not.

Thinkin' I might go gap wedge instead. Got a little too much space between my 47* PW and 54* SW. But that's just me.

So yeah, look for the gap between your fairway woods and long irons, like gas_can suggests.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Hi,

.... As you can see from below, I've switched to hybrids across the board .... even though my 7 and 9 wood are still in my bag, they'll soon be joining their 3, 4, 5 wood brethern (I just haven't had the courage to tell them yet) ...

Keep in mind .. just because your driver is a Callaway, TaylorMade, Ping or a custom built, doesn't mean your hybrids have to be -- so take your time and look around and play a few first ... You might like the look and feel of the Cobra Baffler, or perhaps the Cleveland Halo might float your boat, Tour edge has been in this game for a long time and you might like those ... the deal is all in look and the *feel* - not in the name. I first started with the #6 30°, and that could drop me a very comfortably (and accurately) 155/165+ yards in .. the #4 24° is an easy swing to 180/190 yards+ and my #3 21° is a walk in the park for 200/210+ ... so my #4 gets played more than my 3 ... Remember, buy what "you" like ... it makes the trip so much easier and your scores so much lower ...
Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.
Woods: only one left after switching to hybrids - Adams ST #7 22*.
Hybrids: Tour Edge 20*, 24*, 30*, 36*, 41* and the 50* Attack Wedge...

I definitely recommend a launch monitor fitting...I just did it for the first time today. I was planning on going with a Callaway X460, 10*, stiff 55g shaft. My ball speed with this was around 140mph (3500rpm backspin) , with a 20* launch angle -- not very good.

I then tried the FT-3 Fusion head with a slightly stiffer 65g shaft at 9.5*...this turned out to be a great fit -- returned the highest grade (around 93%) they had ever seen...the grade takes into account all the factors that are measured. The change brought me up to a ball speed of around 155mph (2500rpm backspin) with a 14* launch angle.

So 30 min on the launch monitor added about 15 or 20 yards to my drives...I really prefer the FT-3 head to the X460 now. It is $100 more but you get a free fairway wood which is worth $100 more than the Heavenwood you get with the X460.

• Administrator
Are fairway woods a better club choice over hybrids?

Depends on what you like, among other things (most hybrids won't go as far as a 3-wood).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

as stated above... take the time to get properly fitted, seriously look into either Taylormade, Callaway and Cleveland, they are all offering free wood/hyrbrid with a purchase of their new driver... personally of those three brands I would consider the hibore probably the best driver in that category... just my opinion, but get fitted and try to demo as many clubs as you can... its worth it

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Are fairway woods a better club choice over hybrids?

..... The nice thing you might find about a hybrid, is their consistency over a wood .. and depending on the player they play just as far ..... that said, I would rather be 10 yards shorter in the fairway than 10 yards further in the junk ....

Whats in the bag.?

Driver: Tour Edge 10* Jmax 460 Carbon with the Fuji Vista Pro 50 shaft/and, the Burrows 10.5* MAC 421cc with the Grafalloy Pro Launch 55 shaft.

Thanks alot for the input guys. At the end of the day, I'm only considering buying a driver right now rather than working on my swing first because of the great offers that are on from the three brands. At this point, I am a high handicapper such that I doubt the brand of club will make a substantial difference to my game so it will all come down to what is the better value.

That being said, I will definitely get fitted before purchasing. In terms of the hybrid club I'll choose--again I'll get fitted first--but it'll probably either be the #3 or the #2. The primary purpose is for the long fairway/light-rough shots...I know the fairway woods might get me more yardage but they will probably be harder to hit from my usual not-so-perfect lie ;).

Thanks again for the help and I'll be sure to let you guys know which path I went with (by spending my university spending money).

-N

great offers that are on from the three brands. At this point, I am a high handicapper such that I doubt the brand of club will make a substantial difference to my game so it will all come down to what is the better value.

.... I wouldn't be worrying so much about great offers and great values right now if that's your intentions ....

In another 2 or 3 months, the club manufacturers will be selling and giving offers for .50 cts on the dollar, especially in your neck of the woods .... Remember .. come late fall in the NE and other area's of the US, golf comes to a grinding halt because of the nasty weather -- same goes for Canada ... in the meantime, golf products need to move and the best deals are done in the winter at huge savings ... Take the swing lessons and you'll benefit from them on the major discounts come fall and winter.!
Whats in the bag.?

That is actually a very valid point. In fact...(being an econ major)...I'm surprised I overlooked the economics behind golf clubs.

That's that then, I'll use the money to fix the flaws in my swing (especially after the terrible round I played today).

-N

• 2 weeks later...

I took the buy one get one deal. On Friday, I bought an R7 460 and received a Rescue Dual #5 for free. I like the higher lofted hybrids and have been trying these out for a few months. I've hit lots of hybrids in shops and some friends on the courses and the hybrids that consistently felt the best to me were the TM Rescue Dual. My driver was an older TM 320 which I used to hit straight and could use updating anyway so the deal seem "Taylor Made" for my needs.

I have a 7 and 5 wood that I'm happy with and a 3-wood I don't hit very well so I had to decide between a 3 wood or a hybrid. After hitting both, I liked the hybrid better and I think that I'll use it more (if I'm far enough away to use a 3-wood, I'm laying up...I'm not good a this game and don't need that kind of trouble ). I hit the #3, #4 and #5 hybrids in a simulator along with my 7-wood and bought the hybrid that didn't overlap in distance with my 7 wood. The #4 was really close in distance and with my game, I thought I'd use the #5 more than the #3. If I end up loving it, I can see me going back and purchasing a #3 hybrid.

As for the money, if I keep the clubs I got an OK deal. If I don't like one of the clubs and have to sell it, I shouldn't be out too much. I can't wait to play later this week and I'll be hitting the range tonight!

(BTW, this is my first post around here, nice site you got here)

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

I hit the #3, #4 and #5 hybrids in a simulator along with my 7-wood and bought the hybrid that didn't overlap in distance with my 7 wood. The #4 was really close in distance and with my game, I thought I'd use the #5 more than the #3. If I end up loving it, I can see me going back and purchasing a #3 hybrid.

.... You did good ...

The manufacturers still haven't quite figured out how and what hybrids to market yet, they're too busy pushing product .... but in your case you did good. See how you play the 5 and you might be going back and getting a 9 or a 3, you never know until you play them ... "generally" starting with a 30* 6 gets the ball rolling and then players either roll up or down - or both. Enjoy.!
Whats in the bag.?

.... You did good ...

Thanks, I needed that. I really think I'm going to enjoy using the hybrid and as I was hitting the different clubs, I was really hoping the #5 (25*) that I ended up buying would have the least overlap with my 7 wood because I really liked the way it felt and hit. Now if it'll just get below 100* here so I can go out and play.

BTW, I noticed that you listed Tabacco Road as your "travel course", that's a nice, tough, interesting course

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

Thanks, I needed that. I really think I'm going to enjoy using the hybrid and as I was hitting the different clubs, I was really hoping the #5 (25*) that I ended up buying would have the least overlap with my 7 wood because I really liked the way it felt and hit. Now if it'll just get below 100* here so I can go out and play.

... I think you'll do fine with the your new hybrid ...

I have all the confidence in the world in my 6 hybrid, it will drop a target from 170 yards out without breaking a sweat .. and my 4 is always an easy swing away from 180/190 ... I like Tobacco Road and courses like it .. it's thinking mans course, you either love it or you hate it ... players play it, and golfers get beat - most get beat.
Whats in the bag.?

Note: This thread is 6485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!